Chapter Twenty-Six.

Song- Travelin' Solider- Dixie Chicks

On the Friday before Sam came home, it was Senior Friday. Seniors only had to attend school for a half day, and then they were free to do whatever they wanted. It was also a week since Luke and Jaylee's second-first date, and Jaylee had never been so happy in her life. She practically skipped to her locker with glee and put her books away, ready to leave the school. Luke walked up beside her and smiled, planting a quick kiss on her lips.

"Shall we?" He asked, putting his arm out so Jaylee could loop hers through, and she grinned at him.

"We shall."

Jaylee and Luke walked towards the front door of the school. They walked to Jaylee's car, and hopped in. They decided Jaylee should drive, since she was better at driving, and-- not to mention-- Luke got a ticket for speeding the day before.

Jaylee hit the highway towards her house. It was one of those hot May days where in California, it pretty much felt like Hell's gates were opened and the torturous heat was brought to the whole state. That was the only bad thing about California, it was always so damn hot.

Jaylee pulled into her driveway and hopped out of the car. She opened the door nad ran upstairs to grab her bathing suit-- a purple bikini with white polka dots.

"Jaylee, hurry up! I'm roasting down here!" Luke groaned, and Jaylee quickly slid on her bathing suit. She heard Luke in the kitchen, since it was right below her room. The back door was right past the kitchen. Instead of meeting Luke, Jaylee decided to have a little competition. She tiptoed down the stairs and past the kitchen, but as soon as she was at the back door, she slammed it open and dashed towards the pool.

"Haha, sucker!" She screamed as she cannon balled into the pool. The freezing cold water felt amazing against her overheated body. Once she popped out from under the water, she turned to see Luke glaring at her. Jaylee busted out laughing at Luke's glare, and then he pouted at her.

"Now, baby, that's no way to treat your boyfriend, is it?" He pouted, walking closer to the pool. He had to admit, the bathing suit made her look amazing, especially with her tan complexion and her long, chocolate hair. Not to mention, she had the most amazing smile he had ever seen.

Jaylee couldn't stop laughing, and the way he looked at her made her laugh so hard, tears started streaming down her face. Once Luke was right on the edge of the pool, he jumped in, and Jaylee knew she should start running, but she didn't. Luke popped out of the water and swam dangerously close to her, his eyes filled with mischief. Jaylee attempted to swim away, but it was too late. Luke wrapped his arms around her waist and spun her around. He stared into her eyes, but all she could focus on was the deep blue of his eyes.

"Caught you." He whispered, smirking as he placed a kiss against her cheek, and Jaylee rolled her eyes. She pushed him away and Luke pouted. "Now, that wasn't very nice, baby."

Luke grabbed her again, causing their chests to slam against each other, and Jaylee shakes her head, a smile growing on her face.

"You're such an idiot, Luke Sullivan." She teased, and Luke shot her a boyish grin as he leaned closer, causing their lips to brush against each others.

"True, but I'm your idiot." Luke closed the space between them and took them underwater, kissing the life right out of her. They come back up, and Luke smiled at her again, causing her breath to catch in her throat. Luke had the most captivating smile, and every time Jaylee caught a glimpse of it, she swore she was falling in love all over again.

Luke rested his forehead against Jaylee's and whispered, "I love you."

"I love you too." Jaylee whispered back, and Luke pecked her lips before swimming away.

Jaylee and Luke swam for a little bit, chasing after each other, stealing kisses, and attempting to drown each other (totally romantic, right?), and once they were completely exhausted, they walked back into the house. Jaylee ran upstairs and took a quick shower.

Once she was done, she walked downstairs to see Luke asleep on the couch. He looked so peaceful, with his damp hair falling in his eyes, and his mouth slightly parted as little breaths escaped. Jaylee almost had the notion to go lay with him, but then, a devious plan developed in her mind, and she decided to have a laugh out of her adorable sleeping boyfriend.

Jaylee grabbed a can of whip cream and sprayed some in his hand. She grabbed a feather and tickled his nose, causing him to stir. Jaylee couldn't hold in her laughter, so Luke bolted awake, smearing the whip cream all over his face. He glanced at his hand, and then at Jaylee, his eyes narrowing into slits.

"I think someone needs a kiss." He smirked before standing up, and Jaylee started to back away. Luke walked towards her until she hit a wall, and Jaylee's heart dropped in her chest. Luke walked closer until he was close enough to touch her, and Jaylee stared at him with wide eyes.

"Okay, I'm sorry! I just thought it was funny!" She exclaimed as Luke lifted his arms and rested his hands on either side of her, and his smirk grew bigger.

"Are you scared?" He asked, his voice laced with tease, "I swear I'm a good kisser."

A devious smile spread across Luke's lips as he closed the distance between them and crashed his lips into Jaylee's, causing the whip cream to spread all over her face. Jaylee laughed through the kiss and wrapped her arms around Luke's neck, pulling him closer. Luke's arms traveled down to her waist, and he drew circles into his her hips as his tongue swiped across her bottom lip for access, in which Jaylee gladly obliged. Their tongues moved in sync, and Jaylee hopped up, wrapping her legs around Luke's waist. Luke walked them to the couch and laid her down.

As they pulled apart, Jaylee heard the front door open and close. Jaylee's mom walked in and raised her eyebrows, and then she shook her head, laughed, and walked into the kitchen. Jaylee glanced at Luke and laughed as Luke buried his head in her shoulder.

"I have never had a girl's mom walk in on us while we were making out." He said, his voice dripping with embarrassment, and Jaylee giggled as she pulled him closer to her.

"There's a first for everything." She ran her hand through his hair and sighed. "Must have been a lot of girls, though."

Luke lifted his head from her shoulder and stared at her, seeing the sudden sadness that washed across her face. He caressed her cheek with his hand and shot her a small smile. "There was, I won't lie. But none of them were as special as you. I love you and only you, Jaylee, and don't you ever forget it."

The sadness disappeared from Jaylee's face, and she pecked his whip cream covered lips as she whispered, "I love you too, Luke. Always."

Jaylee walked out to the kitchen and grabbed a dishcloth to wipe the whip cream off of her face. She handed it to Luke and let him wipe his face off, and Jaylee's mom sat at the kitchen table, smiling at the two.

"You guys are so cute." She commented, and Luke and Jaylee smiled at her. Jaylee and Luke were going to sit at the table with her, but then a knock sounded from the front door. Jaylee walked out with Luke following behind her and opened the door. Two tall men dressed in army suits stood in front of the door, and Jaylee's heart dropped in her chest.

Jaylee looked at Luke over her shoulder and commanded, "Go get mom." Luke rushed into the kitchen, and Jaylee's mom walked out to the door.

"Hello, ma'am, are you Mrs. Collins, Sam's mother?" The guy on the left questioned, and Jaylee's mom shook her head.

"Yes. Please, come in." Jaylee's mom stood to the side and let the army men walk in. She led them to the living room, and Luke and Jaylee followed. The men sat on the couch, and Jaylee noticed their posture. They meant business. Her mom sat on the chair in front of the couch, while Luke and Jaylee stood by the doorway.

"We are here to inform you about Sam." The men exchanged looks before they looked back at Jaylee's mother. Sad looks swept across their faces, and when Jaylee noticed that, her heart dropped in her chest, and she clutched Luke's arm.

"Is he okay? Is he hurt?" Her mother asked, and once again, the sad looks swept across the men's faces. They glanced at the floor before they looked back at her mother.

"Sam was shot in combat." The men glanced at each other again, and then the one on the left spoke again. "He passed away last night."

************************************