Chapter Sixteen.

Song: Say Something- A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera 

Jaylee zipped through the doors of her house, her heart pounding against her chest. She ran to the living room, but no one was there. 

"Mom!?" She hollered, hearing pacing upstairs. Jaylee rushed up the stairs, turning towards her parent's bedroom. She saw her mother sitting on the bed, talking to someone on the phone, and Sam was pacing around the room. Her mother hung up the phone and walked to Jaylee, hugging her tightly. 

"Oh, honey, I am so glad you're home. There is something I need to tell you and Sam." Jaylee nodded as she and Sam sat on the bed, staring up at their mother. She let out a sigh, and Jaylee could tell how tired and stressed she was. She had never seen her mother so tense. 

Jaylee also noticed how her mother's eyes looked like they were sagging all of a sudden. The light that was once in them had dimmed almost completely, and her whole face screamed tired. Jaylee's mother usually looked happy, and she was always glowing. Jaylee knew whatever had happened to her father was taking a toll on her mother. 

"Your dad was rushed out of work in the ambulance today." Her mother side as she ran a hand through her hair. "I think now is the time to tell you two, so you will be prepared." 

Jaylee and Sam glanced at each other. The siblings could sense that something was terribly wrong, and whatever it was, it was going to change their family forever. Jaylee glanced up at her mother, and Sam followed. 

Their mother sighed once again, her shoulders slouching. "Your dad had cancer when he was younger. The doctors said there was always a possibility it would come back, but it wouldn't be likely. He is at the hospital right now getting treatments. I'm going down tonight to stay with him." 

Jaylee and Sam nodded, completely speechless. They were shocked at what they had learned about their father. It didn't make sense. Jaylee's dad was one of the strongest people she had ever known. He never once showed signs of having that deadly disease-- even when he was sick in general. Jaylee couldn't believe what she was hearing, and it really didn't help her already broken heart. 

"Sam, maybe you could drive down tomorrow afternoon. Jaylee can come with you after school." The siblings nodded again, and their mother walked closer to them, planting soft kisses on each of their foreheads. She gave them a hug before she walked to her bedroom door, but she stopped and faced Sam and Jaylee before she walked away. 

"I love you both. Everything will be okay." Their mother left the house, and everything was silent once again. 

Jaylee could see the fear and sadness etched into her mother's eyes, even with her small smile. Jaylee knew she was trying to hold her tears in for her and Sam's sake, but Jaylee could see how her mother was breaking. If her mom lost her dad, she would lose half of herself. Jaylee had never seen anyone more close or in love than her parents. There love was timeless-- it was something most people never experienced in a lifetime. 

After Jaylee heard the front door open and close, she glanced at Sam. They both had the same expression, and she knew they both had the same thought. 

Everything wasn't going to be okay. 

Sam pulled Jaylee into a tight hug, and they sat in silence for a couple of minutes. Jaylee couldn't understand why everything was taking a turn for the worst. First, Luke had cheated on her, and now, her father's cancer from his teenage years was back. What had she done so bad to deserve all of that? 

"I don't want to lose dad, Sam." She cried into her brother's shoulder. "I need him more than anything." 

Sam let out a sigh and held his sister tighter. "I know, sis. I need him too. This is unreal to me."