Chapter 4: A Friend

At last, the first day of school. I felt a bit nervous when my brother placed his hand on my shoulder.

"You'll be fine. I've always got your back," He stated trying to reassure me.

Whispers started going around while I was walking in the hallways that didn't help what I was feeling but at least I've got my brother with me.

"Did you hear what that first year said? The audacity!"

"Right? Who does he think he is?"

Their voices were filled with a tone that made me think they were angry. First year? What first year?

I looked at my brother but he just shrugged telling me that he doesn't know what happened. He's just as clueless as I am.

"Here's your stop. Good luck!" Hiroto once again flicked my forehead then he handed me something.

"What's this?" I asked, surprised.

"It's a gift. Open it." He gestured for me to open it but I couldn't.

"N-no. I couldn't possibly..."

"It's okay, Cat. It's actually papa's gift. I know you would never accept one from me. Did you notice I was saving last time? You're always so observant."

My eyes widened. He knows?!

At the same time, my phone vibrated. I got a text from papa asking if he liked his gift which made all of my suspicions go down the drain.

'It really is from Papa.' Our father would never help him give me something with white lies.

Left with no choice I opened the gift after we moved away from the door to make sure we weren't blocking anyone's way into the room.

A case? When I opened the wrapping a medium-sized silver metal case was shown before me. I inspected it and that's when I realized that it's a knife case.

I looked up at my brother but he just continued smiling at me and gestured for me to open the case.

Inside the case were fourteen knives of different types. But one of it stood greater from the rest.

It was a customized knife. I handed my brother the case and took the one that caught my eye to check it.

It's blade is silver but its sides was colored in purple. The tip is very sharp too! And the handle was so beautiful! The sides of it had my name written in it in white with gold vines swirling the name. Caterina in the left and Moretti in the right. The front end of it had a subtle galaxy design while the rest of it were black with flowers colored in pink and vines covered in gold.

"Beautiful, isn't it? Dad gave me one when I entered Tōtsuki too. Just different designs. Don't get it wrong. The design isn't the only thing that's amazing with the knife. It's super sharp and can even cut through paper and weak metals. Plus, it's light."

My eyes twinkled in happiness and I hugged my brother. "This is so cool!"

"Right? By the way, if you check the back handle, you'll know why it's your own personal knife," he said cheekily.

I turned over the knife and I found small art supply designs in the back with white and blue paint thrown over it background.

"You got this customized even if the money's from dad, right?" I knew my brother all too well. "Thank you. I'll text papa about the gift so you don't have to bother."

"Moretti Hiroto, please come to the elite ten's council room. Thank you!" a happy-go-lucky girl's voice said.

"Shit! I forgot Rindou-sama is going to compete in a fishing competition today." My brother handed me the knife case and I put back my personal knife in it.