Chapter 11: Map and Compass

Hiroto and I immediately bid our goodbyes to the two elites. Then, we rushed to our dorm in panic.

What if they see my artworks? Mom's going to throw them away!

We blasted the door open and there in the living room sat the two with five helpers with them. Dad is scanning our home while drinking what seemed to be coffee while my mom is sitting at the couch looking digusted with the whole place.

"Caterina! There you are!" My mother beamed when she saw me. But then she noticed my brother beside me. "And...Hiroto..."

"What are you both doing here?" I asked in surprise and exasperation.

"Now, Caterina is that how you greet your parents?" mother scolded with a hand waving on the air.

"Papa, what are you doing here?" Hiroto asked after he managed to calm himself down and turned to our father.

"I simply wanted to see how both of you are doing. Your stepmother just decided to come along." At that, mom cringed. "How's school?"

"It's fine," Hiroto vaguely replied. Papa gestured for us to sit down so we sat at the chairs across them.

"How fine?" Papa probed leading for my brother to sigh.

"It's been good. I've been assisting a member of the elite ten."

"Ohh? That's wonderful. You work in this person's faction?"

"I'm the only one in her faction." Hiroto looked away.

"It would've been better if you're a member of the elite ten instead, am I right?" mom laughed, subtly insulting my brother so I glared at her.

"Stop that, Francesca." Papa frowned before turning his head towards me. How about you, Caterina? How's school treating you?"

"I go to classes and cook. What else?" I replied rudely, still upset with him for forcing me to study here.

"Cat, that's no way to talk to your father!" mom scolded and as much as I hate her attitude, she's right. Thus, I apologized.

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright." Papa smiled. "I heard you entered the Spring elections. That's actually why your mother and I went here. We wanted to support you by watching you."

When I turned to my brother, I saw pain flash in his eyes. That's right...Papa didn't come to his Spring Elections. Actually, it's the first time he visited him here.

I felt so bad so I grabbed Hiroto's hand and squeezed it. "It's okay if you don't go. Ni-ssan is here. He's already a big support." May be the only family support I really need right now too.

"Yes, yes! But it's still different!" Mom stated with a big smile on her face. "Here! Look at all the gifts I got you! There's clothes, shoes, jewelry, you name it!" She pointed to a stack of branded shopping bags while I let go of my brother's hand.

I smiled despite my uneasiness. "Thank you, mama. I appreciate it."

"While we're here, we'll be staying at the mansion. Do you two want to come? We can spend some time together," Papa suggested, his eyes filled with hope.

"I'll pass, papa. I have advance classes to attend. But may be Cat will," Hiroto immediately responded.

Papa looked dejected at my brother's respond before looking at me hopefully and from the corner of my eye, I can see my mother's evil grin because of how happy she was my brother wasn't going.