Chapter 5 - Lamplight

Grocery Gang x Reader

Chapter 5

Fiddlepat leads you to the 'Staff Only' room near the back of the facility. And so speaking; you didn't know what to expect.

Fiddle, like he read your mind, begins to speak to you.

"Don't worry, he's not intimidating or anything. He's well, cheery."

"Why didn't I meet him sooner?" You question.

"He's a busy guy. Between meetings and…" He paused, obviously not the only one confused about his absence during your hiring. "Well, I'm not too sure what else he does. It doesn't seem that interesting anyway."

"Oh."

You both arrived at the door. You stared at the sloppily written 'Staff Only' paper sign taped onto it. Fiddle knocked for you.

For a moment, there was no response. Just silence, and the loudness of the air conditioning. They had really cranked it up since summer began, hadn't they? You tried to remind yourself to bring a jacket, but had easily forgotten about it.

Fiddle raised his hand to knock again, but the door swung open.

A sturdy looking man in a box hat stood in the doorway, face bright. "Hello!!" He almost shouted at you.

"Hi..!" 

"Amazook, great to meet you!" He extended his hand, which you shook.

Fiddle had somehow disappeared from next you. Truthfully, he was hard to read. You couldn't usually tell what was on his mind. What he thinks, or how he thinks was a total mystery to you.

"I'm Y/N, nice to meet you too."

– 

You two sat down in his 'office', otherwise known/hidden as the 'Staff Room'. The actual staff room was down the hall.

Amazook had several oddly placed lamps illuminated around the room, orange, yellow, and white lighting. You could understand why he was rumored to be a little weird. The box hat really put that idea into perspective for you though.

"Hmm…" He looked at you, then around the rest of the room. "What did I call you here for again?" He said seemingly to himself.

Suddenly, his face lit up again.

"Oh!" He slammed his hands down onto the desk, making you jump a little. "I actually do remember now. I brought you here to tell you the news."

You sat there patiently, waiting for him to tell you.

He raised his eyebrows at you, "Aren't you going to ask me what it is?" You felt yourself turn red from embarrassment, and you hoped he couldn't tell.

"What… What's the news?" You asked slowly. You weren't sure what to expect from him.

"Tomorrow," he paused, looking at you like he was trying to build anticipation, "we're going to visit a king."

To be honest, out of the several probabilities for what this news could be, you would have never even guessed that you were visiting… A king. 

"Huh?" 

"Royalty, we're going to a castle! Isn't that exciting?"

While he kept his enthusiasm, you were more concerned about what to wear. What do people even wear to see royalty? Guess you'd have to ask Googel if his servers weren't broken.

Funny joke.

Actually, you'd probably just wear something… Nice. Fancy dinner wear; not like you go to those often, but it's a decent idea. You were also more relieved he didn't call you here to fire you or something.

"Sure is, what time are we going?"

"Probably sometime around noon, actually. Just come in for your regular shift tomorrow. Ignore the closed sign though."

"No problem! I guess I'll see you then."

(A/N: thank you markheathcliffswife for reminding me I had this half-written and sitting in my google docs cause I wouldn't have remembered. anyway, should i make a discord server?)