Chapter 8 - Famous Piece of Mind

Grocery Gang x Reader

Chapter 8

(A/N: Yaayy! We get another new character in this chapter! I'm very sorry the last few chapters have been so painfully boring since that's how it goes according to the OG storyline… However, expect a lot of new faces in these next chapters. Also, I wanted to mention to you all that although there will be heavy repeats and references from the original book, there are going to be new events and places and whatnot that I didn't include in the OG book for the sake of my own boredom and time consumption. Thank you, and sorry this is so long!)

Everyism didn't show up for work the next day. He called in sick, but even Amazook knew it was because he had a severe hangover.

It was around noon when you had finished putting the last few boxes on a shelf. You began to step down the ladder, almost falling off when you finally figured out that Amazook had been standing behind you. Regaining your stance on the ladder, you addressed him:

"Hey, Bossman." You hoped he couldn't tell that you were anxious seeing him behind you like that. He never really left his office. Ever.

"Hey." He didn't say anything, but continued to stand there. You picked up more boxes to put up.

"...Is everything okay?" You asked.

"I have more exciting news for you!" He beamed, as usual.

"Oh really, is it about the king again?"

"Yes… And, no." Amazook said slowly. You couldn’t help but be more worried than you already were.

"So, what's the news then?" You continued to ask. More or less, you just wanted him to spit it out.

"A talkshow, wants to talk to you." If that wasn't obvious.

"And he wants me on the show?!" You shouted in a panic at Amazook, almost dropping the boxes you had been holding. 

"Yes, Y/N. 74j wants you to be there in around an hour or so." Amazook as usual, remained unbothered, and continued smiling. You're glad you had gotten used to his unnecessary amounts of joy.

"But why does he want, me?" You asked desperately for an answer.

"I don't know." The bliss kept on. "You should go get ready. I'll take you there."

An answer you did not receive.

You got into a different pair of nice clothes. You never really imagined you'd ever be on a talkshow in your lifetime. Why would a talkshow want to have you anyway? You didn't write a bestselling book, or direct a movie, or anything along those lines.

You returned back to the facility, nervous for what was to come.

Molotov grabbed your hand and shook it violently. "Please Y/N," he shouted in a horrible falsetto, "don't forget about me once you're famous!"

You laughed and rolled your eyes, "Uuh, what was your name again?"

"The fame really has gone to your head! Do you not remember your five children with me?"

"I'm glad I don't."

Molotov pretended to wipe tears from his eyes in disbelief.

"Since you're so heartbroken, would you mind telling me what I'm famous for?"

He whistled lowly. "I want to but you know, first impressions last." You could have punched him. He was really bringing this up right now.

"Oh come on, don't bring this up now. Just tell me what I'm going to talk about."

He gave you a shit-eating grin. 

"Not a chance, Y/N. Too bad."

You sighed in disappointment. And here you thought that maybe you could convince him one way or another to tell you. It was a lost cause to begin with.

You and Amazook walked awkwardly down the sidewalk. He didn't try to make smalltalk, and you had no interest in it either. It was more than obvious that he already knew what you were invited on for. 

You had worked there for a solid few months now, and your words of advice from Fiddlepat were: "if he doesn't tell you the first time, don't ask again. He's already chosen not to say anything."

That was a thought that occurred to you in this situation. What he meant was: even if you wanted to, you couldn't get him to talk. 

Might as well give it up.

The silence was deafening, besides the sounds of birds flying overhead, and cars driving by. It was a clear, cloudless day, like most days.

"Was I wrong, Y/N?" Amazook broke the silence, finally.

"Sorry?" You weren't sure you heard him right. The both of you continued walking.

"They talk about you instead of working… Was I wrong for hiring you?" He asked you again. You had nothing to say for yourself. Defending yourself was pointless, you hadn't done anything wrong. But, at the same time, he was your boss. You could at least make it seem like you felt somewhat guilty.

"I'm sorry for disturbing their work environment. I don't mean to, I swear."

He stopped walking, turning abruptly to face you. The rareness of him losing his cheery attitude struck again. If anything, he looked like the one who felt guilty.

"No need to apologize, Y/N. I didn't mean to ask you that, I'm sorry. I won't put you on the spot like that again." Amazook apologized. 

"It's okay, I'm sure you didn't mean to."

He gave you a look of doubt before smiling again.

"Don't let anyone get under your skin once you step on to that stage today. That's what they want to see."

What they want to see… You'll remember that.