Chapter 10 - Showtime!

Grocery Gang x Reader

Chapter 10

(A/N: lots of dialog in this chapter.. FYI: the use of the term 'mistress' in this chapter is supposed to be a joke because the reader// Y/N is nonbinary as to be adapted to the reader's preferences. And that's why the line after the mistress question was presented the way it was. Very sorry for anyone who was confused !! please read the story's updated bio, and otherwise, enjoy the story !!)

A spotlight shone down on you, and 74j began to ask his questions. The purpose you had a grasp on, but the reasoning was unknown to you.

"Y/N," his voice was full of discontent, "how long have you been the 'king's' mistress for? The people would love to know."

"Mistress?" You laughed. This was all really about the you and the 'king's' interaction, wasn't it.

"Are you denying it? You and him?"

"Totally. I barely know the guy."

He didn't seem satisfied with your answer.

"So what were you and him doing out on his castle's balcony?" 74j pushed again for the answer he wanted, you decided you'd remain confident. You didn't have much to lose here. His question would have been surprising if False wasn't a king.

Or atleast a man with the title of one.

"Looking at the stars, actually. They're gorgeous from up there."

He played a laugh track.

"And that didn't have any romantic implication?"

"Not on my end, no."

Your response was all he needed to move to his next question.

"Are you implying he might have been trying to make advances on you?"

You hadn't really meant to imply anything, just that you didn't know. But you had known that for you, it was just looking at the night sky and nothing more.

"No. I mean that you should be asking him the questions and not me. I don't know if he was or if he wasn't." You answered tiredly. "I had never even met him before that day."

"You're saying you're not his mistress?"

You made sure not to be openly frustrated. Although him repeating the same questions you had already answered several times before was making it difficult to keep to yourself.

You kept in mind that this was public humiliation, and if you seemed even slightly angry it was over for you. 74j would have won in embarrassing you.

You faked a yawn. "Are we done? I'm getting bored."

To this, he sighed.

"I am too, actually. I think this is a good place to wrap up the show..." 74j announced both to you, and the crowd before saying his 'thank you's' and 'goodbyes' to them. The crowd began to roar again.

-

You tried to act as though you weren't relieved it was over as the curtains finally drew to a close.

He was still there, though.

"What was the purpose of all this?" You asked him now, as you stood up.

"Don't ask me, it wasn't my idea." He didn't look up.

"Then who's idea was it? I'd like to have a talk with them." You scowled. This had been a waste of time, and work hours.

Instead of answering, he just shrugged. Finally walking over to where you were standing. "I'm really not like that offstage," he said to you blankly. You held eye contact. He returned the favor.

"Yeah? Then why'd you do it."

"Sometimes, when people see a person more confident than them..." He leaned down, close to your face, grinning cockily. "They want to see them suffer."

"How about you tell them to do the job themselves next time," you returned the favor, also leaning in close to him. "Because I'm here with open arms." You laughed.

He stood back upright. You did too.

"Oh, don't be so eager Y/N."

"And what if I am?"

He only grinned wider. And yet again, disregarded your question. It really aggravated you that he picked and choosed what questions to answer, and which to ignore.

-

You and Amazook went back to work soon after that.

He gave you an apology paycheck.

(A/N: hey guys yeah sorry there wasn't going to be another authors note on this but i want you to know that if you add this story to your library it says "so-and-so added insertstorynamehere to *whatever your library is called*. anyways private or not.. i can see the name and contents !! i have seen a few concerning ones so i just wanted you to know that i CAN SEE THEM.. maybe ill post my favs. im running off of two drops of water rn though and i have to get up at 4 fucking am so gn,, by for now.)