Chapter Two: Grimoire

With a few members gone, I stayed at the house undetected by the humans that sauntered the halls

     With a few members gone, I stayed at the house undetected by the humans that sauntered the halls. It was because I was still wearing my robes, and they thought I was one. As the hallways became more empty, I had seen when I arrived that the office of Roderick was near the basement door. At the moment it was empty, and in my sights was the Grimoire sitting on the desk. I wasn't afraid of being caught, but luck was just on my side.

I strolled through the hallway with ease, before slipping into the office, and pushing the door shut as quietly as I could. My eyes flicked to the dull green of the grimoire. And I went for it, with a sway in my hips. I came around the desk, and reached out for the grimoire, and touched the close book. The engraving on the front was exquisite, such beautiful design. I reached over and unclasped the book, and flipped open the pages, seeing them dark and aged. A few were even coated in black, you know they're the evil ones. A smile came to my face, as I read over some spells. New ones that I haven't even added to my own.

I grabbed the book, and placed myself down onto the chair, holding it open. I crossed one leg over the other, and was waiting for someone just to walk right in and see me. I got a few pages in, when I heard heavy footsteps walking towards the office, and that of a cane slamming on the wood as they walked. Roderick was coming. Within moments, the door to his study opened, and I felt his eyes upon me.

"Roderick, please come in," my eyes didn't lift up from the Grimoire I was reading.

"Who the bloody hell are you!?" He exclaims, coming further into the room. "What are you doing here?!" His voice was raised and I didn't like that. I raised my gaze up from the pages of the book, placing it into my lap as I gave him a death stare.

"You will not speak unless you are spoken too," I was smug in my reply, but he was outraged at the comment. He was going to speak, but when his mouth opened nothing came out. No noise, no words, nothing. I couldn't help but chuckle at him as he tried effortlessly to form a word. "Care for a seat?" I floated my hand out to a nearby chair, and he knew I meant business so he went cautiously with each step before he sat.

"Roderick Burgess," I spoke his name slowly, as my eyes never left his. "A man who runs a pathetic cult called The Order of Ancient Mysteries. Cults used to be so much fun," I sighed remembering the days they worshipped me, and offered up gifts and sacrifices. "Nowadays, they're run by charlatans, who don't really have any magical abilities at all. Just think they do," I slammed the grimoire shut, and picked it up from my lap and placed it onto the table. "I imagine you summoned the being in the basement for a reason? Pray tell, why is that?" I questioned with a raised eyebrow. Roderick waited a moment, and opened his mouth ready to speak.

"To bring my son back," his voice rang into the room, his eyes widened in surprise that he could speak again. "Who are you?" He went on, but I only smirked at him, finding the question irrelevant at this moment.

"Someone who just wants to record these spells," I responded, and he looked like he was about to respond in hate and anger. He opened his mouth to speak but yet again his words did not form. "Now, you can either let me simply record them, and I'll be out of your hair and you can keep the Grimoire. Or if you protest, I'll kill everyone in this house, your cult members and let free the being in your basement... Nod if you understand," Roderick thought for a few seconds, knowing that if he died he wouldn't get his son back.