Chapter Eighteen: The Winner

The battle between Lucifer and Dream was going to commence soon

The battle between Lucifer and Dream was going to commence soon. I just had this deep gut feeling, that something bad was going to happen, and he was going to be trapped here. Imprisoned once again. I hung back, as the rest were on the balcony, ready to speak to the demons below.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen," Choronzon spoke normally, but his voice travelled below. He also was raising Dream's helm high up for all to see, before lowering it. "Today for your entertainment and delectation, a formal challenge," the demons below cheered, but I tried to pay no attention as my mind reeled with the possibilities, the worst outcome and the whole lot. Which was an odd thing for me to do. "The challenger is Dream. Once the Master of the Realm of Sleep," I felt the eyes of Dream on me, and I raised my head up, to see him staring at me, and he knew I had something on my mind.

He walks from the balcony, and heads my way, our eyes never disconnecting. But my mind could not stop reeling with the different outcomes this could have.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked, once he was close enough, and he stood in front of me, only a few inches apart.

"Is the Lady of Chaos worried?" He replied with his own question, leaving just that monotone deep voice of his, ringing in my ears.

"You just got out of one prison, do not fall in another," I retorted, giving him something to think about. He just gives me a look that he never gave me before. A look of appreciation. It took me back, as I thought the day would never come. Suddenly, Matthew caws alerting us that he wants to speak to Dream. Matthew hops on by, and down the steps that we first came up. Dream followed, before kneeling down to one knee to stare down at his raven.

"Matthew, I need you to return to the Dreaming," he instructed.

"What? No!" Matthew didn't sound pleased with the suggestion Dream put forward.

"It's the only reason I allowed you to come here,"

"So I could leave you?"

"If I should not be able to leave this place. I would not have Lucienne left alone with no word of my fate," he was entrusting Matthew to be the bearer of bad news if this does go south, and he loses. "Not again," he was thinking of the last time he was imprisoned, and Lucienne all alone and no word from him or what happened. "The sand will take you back,"

"I'm not going back," Matthew lifted one of his legs up and placed it back on the ground, assuring Dream he would not leave.

"Morpheus, am I interrupting a preliminary bout of some kind?" Lucifer spoke, coming to stop to the left of me. She was very quiet, and sneaky like that. Dream raised his head up from Matthew to look at Lucifer.

"Just a ringside pep talk, your Majesty," Matthew announces, bowing his head with the last words he spoke. "We came here for the helm and we're not leaving here without it,"

"We shall see," Lucifer thrived on being smug, and winning. Matthew began to flap his wings and fly up in the air, and land on one of the columns to watch from above. I went down the steps as Dream raised to stand to his feet.