Chapter Twelve: Sand

Finding somewhere cosy and quiet in London seemed to be like a miracle

     Finding somewhere cosy and quiet in London seemed to be like a miracle. Dream had found a water display, and hung out there. He was sulking, as he stared into the water, while I sat on the edge of the display. Staring out at the peacefulness of the area being empty. The silence between us was deafening, it was like he didn't want to make small talk, and would only talk to me when he felt like it, and tried to make me the instigator for our conversations. I wasn't having it. If he wants to talk to me, he can stir up a conversation.

Every few seconds I caught a glimpse of him staring at me, but it was brief and ended so quickly. What was he playing at?

"Would you like a picture?!" I finally let the words flow, as I could not bear with him staring any longer. "It will surely last longer," I remarked, annoyed, fixing my gaze upon him. "Are we planning on standing here all night? Or do you have a marvellous plan in that head of yours?" I went on, changing the topic, as I know he wanted to find his sand badly.

Before he could speak a word, the sound of wings flapping came to my ear, and my head turned to the right to see Dream's Raven landing next to me.I watched Matthew with caution, as he took a few steps forward.

"I'm back," he said, his eyes landing on Dream.

"Yes, in spite of my telling you to leave," he remarks, annoyance filling the air.

"Oh, you talk to the bird, but not me," I spoke under my breath, pissed that he speaks to a bird, but not me. Do we simply not have anything in common?

"I... I can't. I... The boss lady told me–"

"Lucienne is not your master," Dream replies, cutting off Matthew from speaking.

"She told me you'd say that too," she literally thought of everything.

"Do you know who I am?" Dream asks Matthew, wanting to know if he knew who his true master was.

"Not entirely, but I...I don't even know who I am anymore," Matthew responds. "A couple hours ago I apparently died in my sleep, and now I... I'm a bird. I used to have thumbs. Now, I have these things," he extends his wings out slightly, showing us.

"Yes. And you must use them to fly back to the Dreaming. This world is not safe," Dream was always demanding, and spilling orders left and right, like a ruler should, but not to a raven.

"You think I don't know that? I lived my whole life here. That's why Lucienne sent me to help you," Matthew was pretty adamant to stay and help.

"My last raven came here to help me," Dream retorted, eyes now focusing on Matthew.

"Yeah? Where is he now?" He replies, clearly he got the wrong gender of Dream's last raven. I bit my tongue, not wanting to make a snide comment or anything. He gets touchy about his last Raven.

"Her name was Jessamy," he said, probably saying her name for the first time in over a century. "She died. Trying to help me," it was all gloom and doom with him, he had emotions for sure. I've seen it up close and personal.