twenty-one

Let's say Hyunjins mood wasn't going up anytime soon. After basically hiking through the whole forest, surrounded by a lot of people he didn't (and didn't want to) know. The cherry on top was staring at the green-sleeved baseball jacket the whole time. 

Chan missed the whole point. But telling him was useless. Even his boyfriend tried to tell him. But Chan continued making conversation with Changbin, which resolved with the two friend groups being forced to stay close together the whole time. 

Minho and he just exchanged glances. "I chose the stupid one," Minho said with a shake of his head. "You did." That was all Hyunjin answered. His vocal cords still hurt.

 Hyunjins usual escape plan clashed with the harsh reality that his mobile data wasn't working out here. And because he didn't download anything he had to find different distractions. He was very invested in a certain Laura's boy problems. 

But soon enough he just daydreamed about doing Jisungs make-up while sitting, might he dare say, in his lap. It wasn't like anybody was going to hear his thoughts, right? He could think whatever he wanted to think. 

Hyunjin kicked a stick. Even if those thoughts involve the person walking right in front of you. And that person hates you to your guts. 

--

Hyunjin found himself staring at Jisungs shoes while for his turn self-serving noodle-ish dish. 

"I don't think they'll get real clean ever again." He heard Changbin say as he took a plastic plate and gave it to Minho. 

As if the boy didn't figure that out on his own. The end of his shoelaces was dripping dark brown water. They must be soaked by the muddy pools he walked in during the tour.

 "Thank you, I needed that." Jisung scoffed. He was crushing his piece of bread in his small hands. 

Hyunjin wanted to pout, he just felt sorry for him. I mean everybody knows how awful the feeling of wet and sandy socks in shoes is. He liked those shoes on him, they matched the rest of his fashion style very well. Hyunjin could never figure out how to dress like Jisung. He admired people like that a lot. 

Hyunjin realized he had been starring for way too long. And he knew that his friends realized the same thing. "I think I might get diarrhea eating from those pots," he said loud enough for them to hear. 

It was hard not drifting away in his thoughts these days. Hyunjin loved his friends for being supportive, they had been there for him after... that happened. 

"They were used in the second world war, just look at the dents..." He added for good measures as he began scooping out a portion for himself. They shouldn't worry about him. Not anymore.

 "I'll be adding one with the size of your head if you don't hand that over now, I am hungry." Minho snatched the tong and started loading his plate until it was starting to give in under the weight of the spaghetti. 

"Minho stop," Chan said, as it was his turn.

 "What Chan?? I am hangry." With that, he started stomping through the crowd. Hyunjin was more than happy to follow Minho. Whoever was standing in his way would make space for him to squeeze through. 

You could say it wasn't that way for Hyunjin. Of course, the school hallway wasn't the same as this, things didn't change. It was no surprise that heads turned, and pairs of eyes followed him to his seat. Sometimes in school, they would just stand right in front of him for the fun of it, not budging an inch when he politely tried to get past. Most of the kids just treated him as if he didn't exist.