twenty three

A school camp has a lot of social aspects. Going on trips and doing stupid activities that no one wants to do, strengthens the non-existent bonds between students. They should call it social work. 

Jisung stared at the mountain of plastic silverware and pots left in the huge sink. Everyone got a turn to wash the dishes because that's what you're willing to do for your community, right? "I'm not..." Jisung said under his breath. He hated every second of holding the damp and probably molding drying rug in his hands. 

"C'mon it's not that bad," Minho said, sleeves rolled up and washing the dishes with somewhat of a groove to his movements. 

"You're just too positive," Jisung said, grabbing a fork Minho held out for him, "And I'm saying that as your friend." 

Minho laughed softly. "Stop complaining and do your job." 

Jisung rolled his eyes but complied nonetheless. A warm breeze swept through the pavilion area. It took a trail of leaves with it, rolling around on the floor and dancing to the song the crickets were singing. He focused on sorting the forks and spoons into the right place and just kinda dissociated.

 But the longer he let his thoughts wander the more they drifted toward Minho. Gosh, how embarrassing his blooming feelings were. And in the end, they were for nothing. He was misreading the signs and got caught up too much. So now Jisung couldn't help but wonder. "Hey Minho..." 

"Hm, yeah?" Minho sent him an encouraging side glace before he turned his attention back to the dirty pot. 

"What's it like being in a relationship? With Chan I mean." Jisung hurried to add the last part, almost dropping the plate he was cleaning. 

Minho laughed, his hands stopping for a second. "What me and him are like?" He leaned against the sink and turned to Jisung. His eyebrow cocked up as he looked at him. 

Jisung shuffled, "What? I was just asking..." He shrugged his shoulders, fixating a spot in the sink to stare down.

 Minho continued watching him, studying his every move. Jisung mumbled to himself and scratched his face. Wow, these crocked knives really have a story to tell... "Come on stop staring..." he complained. The tips of his ears turned a shade of pink. 

Minho chuckled. "Fine." He turned back to work. "You know people never really act the way they're around their friends when they're alone, right?" 

Jisung nodded.

 "And that person, that that very little people see. That person in you sometimes need closure. Someone to just absolutely be themselves around. That's who you're looking for in a long, happy and lasting relationship." 

The water swept over the edge of the sink as they finished the last piece. 

"Me and Chan do have a lot of fun around friends... But taking care of each other..." he paused for a second. "Just by being around each other. That's what me and Chan are like. We don't need a lot of words. We share peace? In a way? I don't know." Minho shrugged and giggled to himself.

 "It's funny..." He dried his hands off. "No one asked me that question before." Jisung followed what he was doing, knowing Minho expected a response. He cleared his throat. "Well now I did."

 And he didn't mind listening to Minho talk some more while they were the last in the bathrooms, brushing their teeth. 

Even when they were walking back to the tent, Minho was still talking. Jisung figured he shouldn't stop him from doing so. He didn't feel like it either. If you absorb Minho and watch him in any type of situation, he (and Chan too) always think selfless. They want to help and put the needs of their friend group in front of their own. 

Minho's words really began to sink in as Jisung walked back to his tent.

 He was dragging his feet across the path. His slides were not necessarily made for all of the small pebbles that were trying to poke his feet bloody. Jisung shook his head. He groaned as he climbed into his tent. 

(i know this is super short and it's hard for both you readers and me as a writer to get back into this book. but i'm promising you now that i'll finish this book before the start of next year... so buckle up.)