Three: Out of His League

My friends practically worship him as they wave at Derek, their eyes filled with awe. I can't help but roll my eyes, as if I wasn't in the same predicament last night.

Derek goes straight to Patrick's room. Everybody's eyes, excluding mine, follow him until he is completely gone. My friends twist their necks as the door closes, their leers fixated on me.

"What?" I grumble.

"So..." Cathy pants, unable to contain her excitement.

I know the looks they're giving me. This is not good. "Girls, please remember that I'm the one you should focus your attention on."

They merely giggle. Oh no. They can't be serious.

I think the Derek effect is over, but it actually isn't. He walks out of the room without a shirt on, a towel hanging on his shoulder, and then he casually grabs a bottle of water from the fridge. To make it worse, he winks at us before disappearing into the bathroom.

They suppress their squeals; I snort.

"Oh my God," Bea mutters, blushing. She is the last person I expect to get flustered over Derek. Guess I'm mistaken.

"When did he come back? Why is he taking a shower? He's staying here?" Cathy seems to have forgotten how to breathe.

"One question at a time," I hiss. "He got back last week. He's staying here for a while since there's ongoing construction in his unit."

"Sam, he's so smoking hot! He technically lives here with you, and your brother's away. Why not him?" Sandy raises, a mischievous grin crossing her lips.

Both Bea and Cathy gape at me as if Sandy's idea is the most brilliant thing they've ever heard. I grimace, feeling a sense of unease settle within me.

"Sandy's right, Sam! Derek's the one! Seduce him!" Cathy shrieks.

"Ssh!" I throw a pillow at Cathy, who guffaws. I shiver at the thought of Derek hearing them.

"Don't be silly. He's Patrick's best friend. I'm totally out of his league."

They roll their eyes at me.

"You aren't out of his league, and you know that. You're pretty and successful. Meanwhile, he's good-looking and wealthier than you are. You won't be 'too good' for him. That won't be an excuse to dump you anymore--" Cathy pauses as I glare at her. "It's not that you're not 'too good' but... Anyway, you know what I mean! So what if he's Patrick's best friend? You can use that to your advantage. You know him well."

"Mm. I think you suit each other," Bea adds, her cat-like eyes sparkling.

I pinch the bridge of my nose. I can't believe we're having this conversation. "Not you, Bea. Please."

"See, even Bea agrees," Sandy says, giggling. "Which means we're right!"

"This is not funny even for a joke," I retort, shaking my head vigorously. "Stop it."

We can hear the droplets of water from the bathroom. I do hope Derek isn't hearing any of this.

"We aren't joking," Cathy states, her large eyes fixed on me like an owl. Her resolve is frightening. "You will look so good together. I will never be able to find a guy at Derek's level to set you up with. He's the only one who can match you!"

"And! And! He's super hotter than before! He's so dreamy... Imagine all the kids you'd be having with him!" Sandy shrieks again.

I growl at her to shut her up. "Stop saying that he's hot! You have a boyfriend. That's cheating."