Twenty-Five: Jealous?

As soon as I disembark from the car, my mouth falls in awe. The sight before me is nothing short of breathtaking. This resort, an undiscovered paradise, unveils itself in all its glory.

The expanse of land stretches out before my eyes, a lush carpet of emerald grass reaching into the distance, adorned by abundant trees and flowers. The landscape perfectly captures a sense of a solitary tropical island. Candice and Patrick truly struck gold when they booked this enchanting haven for their wedding. The photos will be delightful!

On my way to the hotel, I pass an Olympic pool, a kiddie pool, and two infinity poolsThe glasshouse event center, where the reception will take place, stands majestically, its translucent walls inviting celebration. Beyond it, an arched entrance beckons me towards the beach, and from there, I get a tiny glimpse of the sea. For the first time in a long while, my heart feels lighter.

It's been so long since I've fled the bustling city. 

The architectural design of the hotel is Western, pillars representing Greek culture erected in front. The ceilings are incredibly high, with elegant chandeliers illuminating the spacious lobby. Overall, the resort emits a refined, serene, and refreshing ambiance.

"Oh, here's Sam." Candice strolls to me, grinning, while Patrick follows behind her. Candice pulls me into a hug and whispers, "You okay?"

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me," I answer.

"I'm happy you came."

"I don't really like Patrick right now, but I like you." 

Candice giggles, pulling away. I approach Patrick next, my brows snapped together, a palm laid in front of him. His smile falters slightly, a flicker of guilt dancing in his eyes as he hands me my keys. 

"You should seriously stop going behind my back, Pat," I threaten. "One last strike and I won't speak to you again."

"Did you guys talk?"

"Are you listening? I'm warning you. You will lose a bridesmaid and a sister if you don't stop meddling." 

Candice slaps Patrick's arm which he rubs tenderly. "Okay, okay. Sorry."

Now that I think about it, this all started because he let Derek stay at the unit. Patrick's like a puppet master.

"Where's Derek?" he asks.

I lift a shoulder in a half-shrug. I left Derek to park the car, and I also burdened him with my belongings. He placed my stuff into his trunk anyway. That's the least he could do.

Candice hands me the key to the room.

"Do you remember Sara?"

"Yes."

She is Candice's cousin. If memory serves me right, she's two years older than I am and used to date Derek. So how can I forget?

"You'll share a room with her."

Geez. Why? I want to beg for another room, but that will be stupid and inconsiderate of me.

"Okay."

"Here's your stuff." Derek leaves my suitcase next to me, which I grab quickly without saying anything. Candice and Patrick give him quick hugs, and I depart as they exchange pleasantries.

My eyes widen as I see a familiar figure walking toward me. I stride hastily to meet her halfway, almost leaping to hug her.

"Mom! When did you arrive? Why didn't you call?" I ask.

"I wanted to surprise you," she says, returning the hug. Oh, how comforting it is. 

"I missed you so much," Mom utters, stroking my hair.