Thirty-Two: I Quit

I pull over at Cosmo first to pick up the final guest list. Cathy wraps me in a hug me as soon as I enter the office. I feel everyone's eyes pinned on me, including Clark's. I snub them.

"Oh wow, you're smoking hot. Derek's a lucky guy," she says. "I'm so excited for you!"

I blush at the compliment. "Well, it is my team's night. Thanks for passing that project to me, Cathy. This is really a game changer. I can feel it."

Cathy giggles. "I knew you'd do a better job than me."

"Pfft. You wanted to set me up," I sneer.

She winks. "Didn't work as planned, but I'm still glad how it turned out. I've always been on Team Derek."

We chortle. I go to my cubicle while Cathy heads to hers. I arrange my desk and proceed to do some leftover work. I'll leave after lunch so I can help with the preparations at the hotel.

A little past ten, I decide to get a cup of tea. The pantry isn't empty; Clark is there, drinking coffee. He shoots a nonchalant gaze at me as I enter, smiling contemptuously at me my blood pressure rises. I plug the electric kettle, drawing subtle deep breaths, then I wait, my back on him.

"I know we started on the wrong foot, but we need to fix this weird tension, Sam," he utters.

I squeeze my eyes shut before I spin to look at him. The audacity of this man infuriates me.

"It's you who talked shit behind my back, Clark."

"That's because you're always trying to embarrass me," he snorts.

I cross my arms. "We're free to express our opinions. It's not my fault our team members often agree with me."

He scoffs. "You're just bitter."

I unplug the kettle, pouring hot water into my cup. This is pointless.

I bite my tongue to hold myself back from spitting the harshest words that come to mind, opting to end the conversation. But he doesn't stop.

"You're angry because I was promoted. You thought that it would be you."

I face him again, my forehead puckered. He gets up and marches towards me, jaw clenched. "Just admit it."

I release an exasperated sigh. "No, Clark. I'm angry because you're sexist, and you're taking advantage of your connection in this company. You're proud of getting ahead of us even when you know you don't deserve it. You're part of the problem in society. It's sad and disgusting. I feel sorry for you."

Then I walk out.

Damn him. 

My fingers tremble in rage, though I'm also satisfied with having said my thoughts out loud. I don't think Clark and I can work together after all. We'll never get along.

I see Clark enter the office as I sit in my cubicle, banging the door behind him, visible sweat emerging on his skin.

I sip my tea wordlessly.

******

It's as busy as I have anticipated when I reach the event venue. With only a couple of hours left, the organizers are pacing back and forth, double checking that the lights, decorations, and sound system are perfectly set up. My heart pounds at the chaos.

This is it. The biggest project of my career.

"Sam!"

I turn around and see Kurt. He's wearing a white undershirt and a maroon suit. He walks towards me, his head tilting to the side.