Twenty-One: A Thousand Blades

My eyebrows shoot up. All of a sudden, somebody knocks on the door, temporarily breaking the tension. Neither of us moves.

Another knock resonates, and I let out a sigh of exasperation. I casually stroll away from the awkward situation, with Kurt hastily following behind me. I swing open the door to reveal Derek's presence, his expression darkening instantly as he looks over my shoulder.

Darn. Why now? Why is he here at such a bad time?

"D-Derek, what are you doing here?" I stammer.

"I forgot something in the room. You weren't replying to my texts so..." he replies sternly. Derek frowns at Kurt who scowls back. "But I'll just drop by later."

"No, go ahead," Kurt replies. "I was just about to leave anyway."

I spin to look at Kurt. "What? But we're--"

"Let's talk some other time, Sam. I'll let everyone know that something came up."

I hesitate. "We have to finish—"

Kurt smiles patiently. "It's okay."

I nod coyly, thankful for his understanding. I have to talk to him. I still need to hear what he has to say. Yet, with Derek standing before me, whatever he has to say will have to wait.

Kurt retrieves his things from the living room and walks back to the door. Leaning closer, he plants a gentle kiss on my cheek before departing, paying no attention to Derek's presence. I gulp, utterly perplexed by the situation. What on earth is happening?

Derek's eyes follow him with an unwavering glare before looking back at me, gritting his teeth.

I stumble a step back. Derek comes in, shutting the door behind him.

All the overflowing feelings come over me as soon as our eyes reunite. There's the urge to yell at him. To tell him I've missed him and that he should've come sooner. But when I see the entirety of his face, all I can do is gaze at him, suppressing the desire to envelop him in my arms.

"How have you been?" I ask.

He only stares at me, wincing.

"Derek?"

He blinks a few times and looks down for a few seconds before responding, "I'm... I'm okay. I'm just going to get something in the room."

He walks past me, his arms brushing against mine. I trail behind him, wondering whether something happened at work again.

"Are you okay?"

He drops to his knees and pulls a shoebox under the bed. He gets up immediately, his posture stiff. "Yes, I am."

"Why aren't you looking at me?"

Derek cringes, his fingers tightening on the box. "I'll leave now."

He tries to walk past me again, but I obstruct his way. "What's wrong? Did something happen?"

"Sam, just... I have to go."

"You don't look okay," I press, my concern escalating.

I lift my hand to touch his face, but I recoil as he speaks, his voice low and rumbling, "Why did you let him in?"

The question startles me. My lashes flutter. "What?"

His pupils flare. "Are you dating him?"

I exhale in exasperation. What is this? First, he was overprotective of me, then he asked Kurt to take care of me. And now, this?