Thirty: The Glass Ceiling

Derek drives quietly, his jaw rigid and his movements tense. He hasn't spared me a glance since we left the diner. I stare down at my clammy fingers on my lap.

I expected his reaction, but it had to be said. I can only do so much for him. He needs someone else to get him through everything, a professional in mental health issues, and that someone isn't me.

We arrive at the resort an hour later. Derek leaves the car right away after he parks the car, while I stay inside for a bit.

Way to go, Sam. Way to ruin the first day of your unofficial relationship.

I draw a few deep breaths and get out of the car, heading straight to my room. Sara is in the bathroom, puking her intestines out, and I'm too distracted I don't even feel repulsed. I glance at the mirror and wince at the large bags under my eyes.

I grab clean clothes from my suitcase and slip into my robe.

Sara exits out of the bathroom in her maid of honor dress, now ruined and stained with... Stuff. Lots of stuff I can't even pinpoint.

"Oh... You're here," she utters, wiping her mouth, her throat evidently scratchy. "Where'd you go?"

"Breakfast," I briefly answer, then I walk past her and shut the bathroom door.

******

At 11 AM, everyone gathers in front of the resort, except for the guests who have already left. Philip isn't there anymore much to my relief, though I wish I was able to apologize to him for that awkward moment. If things were different, I would love to get to know him.

Candice and Patrick are saying their thanks and goodbyes. They are bound to leave for their honeymoon in Europe. My eyes roam, and I notice Derek standing opposite me. Marcus, Uncle James, and Donna are absent, yet Derek's lips are still in a straight line. 

I bite my lower lip guiltily. 

Candice pulls me into a quick hug, then she whispers, "I didn't know you and Derek were a thing. Sorry."

I simply smile. Patrick embraces me next, wrapping his arms around me so tightly that I can hardly breathe.

"P-Patrick!"

"I'm so happy, Sam!" he yells.

"Yeah, yeah. Congrats."

"Let me know what happens between you and Derek, okay? I'm looking forward to the good news," he says softly.

"You still owe me."

"I do. I'll do whatever you want." Patrick separates from me and nods coyly. "But you know I love you, right? Always."

I roll my eyes, though the corners of my lips curve upward. "Okay. Off you go."

The two of them finally hop into their bridal car, and we wave our hands until they disappear. I say goodbye to Dad and Sherry next, promising to visit them as soon as I'm available.

Mom approaches me as the crowd disperses. "Did you bring your car with you?" she asks.

"No," I reply.

"Do you want to ride with me? I rented a car," she offers. 

I feel my throat close up as I see Derek walk away. He's running from me again. Mom grazes a finger finger on my cheek, and I finally look at her.

"Are you okay?"

I smile wryly. "I don't know."

"Oh, sweetie." Mom hugs me and I sink my chin on her shoulder. She strokes my hair, and I somehow feel calmer. We pull away from each other, and we walk to the hotel again, our arms looped.