Eighteen: I'll Come Running

Derek's words sting, like someone has sliced my chest open only to leave my heart exposed and bruised. The shadows of the curtain conceals half his face as he hangs his head.

"When?" I mutter under my gasping breath.

"Friday."  

I knew it was coming soon, but I didn't expect it would be the day after tomorrow. From what I can gather, there should still be around five days left. Why does he want to leave out of the blue?

"I've already bought furniture and appliances, though it's still a bit untidy. If you're not worn out, would you like to help me figure it out?"

I lift my gaze. "Do you want me to?" 

He smiles wryly. "Yes." 

I peer into the clock. 8:15 PM. I can feel my emotions exploding and my body disintegrating not due to fatigue, but because of Derek's sudden departure. But a little more time with him is something I cannot resist. A little more.

"Alright, Derek. Let's go."

"Now? Aren't you tired?"

I shake my head. We must do it now. It should be right away when I haven't thought of any stupid things to say.  

Before I break down and cry.

I switch into more comfortable clothes. The fact that Derek would leave one day seemed to have escaped my thoughts.

And now that it's here I can't just embrace it. But it's not like I can stop him. I'm just Sam, his best friend's little sister, and living together will look bad to other people anyway. It's right to end this set up and steer our lives back to normal.

Derek is pacing back and forth in front of my bedroom when I walk out. "Let's go."

He hums an 'okay.'

We take the stairs and arrive at his unit in less than a minute. The close proximity is a little comforting--just one floor above ours. Huge boxes and styrofoams scatter all over the floor, but the renovation done is mind-blowing. I can only imagine the hefty price tag associated with transforming the unit into a bachelor pad straight out of a reality TV show. It must have cost him at least half a million pesos.

His couch, TV, lamps, stove, and other appliances are spread in random spots. Some are still inside the packaging; some are just placed haphazardly on the floor. 

"Wow. Your unit looks expensive." 

"My real estate broker took care of everything," he replies. "He dealt with the contractor, too."

I cross the doorsill, my imagination and creative spirits commencing. Everything's either black or gray, even the walls and the carpets, matching Derek's strong energy and arcane persona. But since all the furniture is already there, we can only do so little.

"So, Sam... What do you think?"

"You should have asked me to go with you when you bought your new stuff," I scold, still pondering about how we could turn his place homier. There are no issues with the things he purchased. The brands are all top of the line. I just thought that I could have helped him. I mean, interior design is what I do for a living. 

"It's very... You," I remark.

"What do you mean?"

"Um, very... Detached?"

He grazes his index finger on his bottom lip. "I guess so."

"Have you ever stayed here?" I ask.

He reluctantly nods. "Yes. Last time, when we fought... I already had the bed then."