Ten: What You Want

Kurt opens his mouth to say something, but he ends up pressing his lips together, wincing. I wonder what entered his mind. Why does he look so defeated? Ashamed?

He drops his gaze to the center table for a few seconds before meeting my eyes again.

With a slight smile, he asks, "So, anything you want to order? My treat."

I don't bother to ask Kurt. Maybe it isn't that important, and reminiscing has to stop anyway. We only need to clear the air for this project to work. No need for prolonged awkwardness.

We discuss the project. Kurt's firm's client owns an old hotel in the capital which is undergoing major renovations. They need interior designers to change the entire image of the Main View Hotel. They have chosen me to design the VIP suites and the lobby restaurant. The offer is enticing, with a reputable corporate client. I see no reason not to accept, although it will likely mean burying myself in work once again. I'll need to juggle the rest house project and this one. Fortunately, I'm nearing completion with the former.

The thought of working with Kurt for about two months strikes a nerve. I don't want to presuppose that something is bound to develop between us, but I can't deny that we shared a history. No matter how short it is, it matters to me. I think it does to him as well... Even though he left.

Kurt asks me about my friends, and I inquire about how his sister is doing. She's already married. I glimpse at Kurt's fingers out of interest; he isn't wearing a ring. We talk about our previous classmates, professors, and our jobs. Unfortunately, our conversation is cut short because Derek sends a text message that Patrick has arrived. His text implies impatience, and I can't resist clicking my tongue.

Kurt walks me to my car after two hours of chatting and catching up. I enter my vehicle and roll the windows down right after I'm settled in. Kurt approaches me with an expectant grin, rubbing his nape with his right hand.

"Thanks for today, Sam. I was worried you would say no to meeting me... Because of what happened before."

The guilt resurfaces, and a warm sensation spreads through my chest. I was wrong when I thought that what we had meant nothing to him.

"It's been so long, Kurt."

His lips curl upward. "Then if that's the case... Well... This may be too straightforward... But I asked Bea if you're single."

I feel my grip on the steering wheel tighten as I try to conceal my surprise.

"She said you are. So... Um, so, I'd like to ask you out. For dinner. Maybe?"

Derek emerges into my mind, my lashes fluttering a few times. It's not the time to think about him! I dismiss the idea immediately. "We have a project to finish."

"Of course, of course. Not now, Sam." He grins. "But after."

My phone rings, so I have to excuse myself. It's from Derek. He can use a chill pill or something.

"Excuse me for a sec." I put the phone on my ear and don't even wait for him to speak. "I'm going home, Derek. Tell Patrick to wait."

I glance over at Kurt, his jaw hardening briefly. I hang up on Derek before he can say anything more.

"Derek?" Kurt utters. I think I sense a tinge of irritation. "You mean Derek Crisanto?"

"Yes. Do you remember him? He's Patrick's best friend."

Kurt merely nods, the stern look enduring.

"So, I gotta go. See you later."

"Yes." Kurt takes a step back as I start the engine. "Definitely."