Six: Good Friends

After the meal, I immediately fumble through my bag to get my wallet. "It's my treat. You drove me here. I told you I owe you, right?"

He sneers at me. "Nope. This is not it. This is not what I want."

I frown. "What do you want then?"

He smirks, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "I'll figure something out."

"Make sure it's not something nasty. Not now when I'm finally seeing a better side of you."

"Really? There's a better side of me now?"

I fold my hands in my lap. "Well... You aren't that much of a jerk lately. Just a little bit. Don't let it get to your head."

"Fine," he chortles. "For now, we'll split the bill, and later on, I'll tell you how you can pay me."

I sigh in defeat. When will I ever win?

"Alright."

Next, we head to Sonya's Garden. It's tucked away, and we have a bit of trouble finding it. As we arrive, my breath catches at the enchanting sight before me—a picturesque garden adorned with blooming flowers, cozy benches, and charming swings. Derek insists on capturing the moment, snapping pictures of me despite my protests.

"The place is nice. You shouldn't miss the chance to take a photo. Your yellow sundress suits you."

I redden at his compliment. "Ha-ha, very funny."

"I don't lie when it comes to things like that. You look good today." He winks.

I scoff. "I don't believe you. You're a player."

Derek crosses his arms, eyebrows furrowed. "Why can't you just accept a compliment?"

"Because it's from you."

"And?"

"It's less likely to be true."

He grimaces, poking a tongue on his cheek. "I won't tell you you're pretty when you're not, okay?"

I roll my eyes. "Whatever."

"Whatever. I'll send it to you later."

"Let me take a picture of you, too," I offer.

He wrinkles his nose. "It's weird. I don't like taking photos of myself."

"And why's that?"

"I don't look good in photos."

"Ridiculous." I snatch his phone away from him. "Come on!"

"I don't want to." He covers his face with his hands. I giggle.

"Let's just take it together, alright?" I suggest, and he stops protesting.

"Fine."

I switch the camera to the front-facing mode. "Say cheese!"

I'm in front of the picture, a wide smile pasted on my face, while Derek is merely staring at the camera, his back arched to accommodate my height. He appears laid-back and cool as usual. He said he doesn't look good in photos. I call bullshit.

I pass his phone to him. He glances at the photo for a second with a small smile, and then casually returns his phone to his pocket.

There is a wedding going on, so many people are dressed up in tuxedos and gowns, the ladies wearing full-blown airbrush makeup. What catches my attention are little boys wearing suits and little girls carrying baskets of flowers.

"Do you think you'll ever get married?" I ask Derek nonchalantly.

"Yes, I do."

I whip my head towards him, eyes wide with surprise. "You do?"