Twenty: He's Everywhere

On the night I turned 18, Patrick and Derek threw me a surprise birthday party. They wanted me to celebrate my actual birthday with only the people I cherished since my debutante party would have hundreds of visitors, half of them I didn't really know, let alone care about.

The barbecue party happened at our previous home, the home where Patrick and I grew up. My girlfriends, Derek, Patrick, Candice, and my parents, who were already separated at the time, were there. We had delicious food and music, and when the clock struck midnight, the fireworks were set off. My grand celebration was nothing compared to that night. It was the best birthday party I'd ever had. 

The memory slipped into my mind because I learned that the mastermind was Derek. I heard him talking to my brother as soon as the party ended. 

"You should tell Sam that you planned everything so she can thank you properly."   

Curiosity piqued, I halted in my tracks and discreetly pressed my ear against the door. Although I rarely eavesdropped on their conversations, typically focused on games, music, and girls, I couldn't resist this time. They were discussing me, and I felt a surge of gratitude toward the person who had gone to such great lengths to make my 18th birthday extraordinary.

"Nah, it's alright. It's not like she'll be happy to know it was me. Your sister's angry at me all the time." 

"That's because you tease her with every chance you get," Patrick answered. "It's your fault."

He laughed. The familiar laughter made my knees wobble, and I froze. 

It couldn't be. Why? Why would he? 

"Seriously, you can just tell her you did all these to make up for everything." 

"How will I tell her? 'Hey Sam, I know I make fun of you all the time so here's a birthday extravaganza to compensate for it'?" He chuckled. "Nope. Not gonna happen."

I felt dizzy, and I should've left, yet my feet wouldn't move. 

"But still, you took care of everything. The food, the music, and even the fireworks. You even convinced our parents to come at the same time. I was so impressed." 

"She's happy, man. That's more than enough. It's all I wanted in the first place." 

It was Derek. He was the last person I thought would go through such lengths for me, but it was him. I didn't know what to think of it, especially since I always argued with him, and I yelled at him just before the party officially ended. He told me I ate too much. The regret crept into my core, my insides tangling into big knots.

I heard their footsteps coming in my direction. In a hurry, I dashed towards the washroom adjacent to Patrick's room, seeking refuge for a few moments. I perched on the toilet seat, adrenaline coursing through my veins. Why would Derek do all that for me? I couldn't seem to think of any reason why. Did he really just want to make up for everything? 

"Calm down, Sam. Why are you so flustered?!" I said to myself, legs shaking. I took a deep breath. I had to get out of there.  

I tiptoed to my room. I didn't want to see him. My face was so red, and I had no idea what to say. However, Derek saw me as he was about to enter Patrick's room again.

Crap.  

"Hey, why are you walking like that?"  

I was stunned. I cautiously turned my head, awkwardly straightening my back in panic, my hands opening and closing multiple times. He looked quite surprised to see me sneaking around.

"Sam?"

At the time, Derek was tall but thin, and he often wore band shirts and skinny jeans, his square jaw sharp.