Four: Like a Guest

Our parents separated when I was 13, and our father decided to live with another woman. His new partner, Sherry, wasn't the evil kind you see in the movies, but Patrick and I didn't feel comfortable staying under the same roof with them. So, we purchased the unit as soon as we were able to afford it. Mom, on the other hand, migrated to the USA. We talk to her from time to time.

They're both happy with where they are now, so we choose to be happy for them, too.

On the other hand, Derek's parents didn't separate. His Mom passed away after his university graduation, and his father remarried a few months later. His older brother, Marcus, was understanding, but as far as I could remember, Derek took it hard. To be fair, it was scandalous. His new stepmom was ten years his father's junior... And was his employee.

"Sam, he's my closest friend. There was no reason to not inform him about the unit for sale above ours when he was looking for a place to stay."

"But he's... He hasn't changed. He's the same, old Derek."

Except hotter.

"What did you expect?"

"I expected him to grow up! I want him to at least stop bringing random girls home!"

Patrick shakes his head in disbelief, scratching his stubble. "Sorry, Sam. I'll tell him not to do it again. Just please don't be mad, alright?" he pleads.

I take a sharp breath, my frustration waning. If it weren't for Patrick's unwavering love for Candice, I'd think he was in love with Derek himself. He always puts up with Derek's antics, unintentionally dragging me along.

"I know. It's the only reason why I tolerate him. How can the two of you be so different?" I mutter. "But alright. Fine. I'm doing this for you."

"Try to get along with him. Please?"

I tuck my hair behind my ear. "I'll try to peacefully coexist with him. I can't promise anything more than that."

Patrick presses a palm to his heart. "That's all I need. Just don't kick him out."

Hesitant, I nod. "Fine, Patrick. Just... Just tell him to stop acting like a kid. We can't be like before. I'm not the same Sam he knew six years ago."

******

After my conversation with Patrick, I spend the afternoon meeting with clients. I manage to secure a project with a sixty-year-old couple deeply in love, and I'll be heading to Tagaytay on Friday to visit their newly constructed vacation home.

Looking at my clients all lovey-dovey during the meeting sends butterflies to my stomach, making me hope for lasting love. Again. You see, other children who are witnesses to the separation of their parents refuse to believe in a happy ever after. It hit Patrick and me differently. If anything, it got me more determined to build a complete and happy family.

I drive straight home right after the meeting. When I arrive, the unit is dark and tranquil. My chest loosens. It feels a little odd that my first move is to check if Derek is there or not.

Why am I being uncomfortable in my own home? Treat him like a guest, Sam. Or treat him like a boarder. Patrick has mentioned that Derek's going to pay for his expenses anyway, so I guess that's the perfect way to go.

I eat dinner by myself and take a quick shower before completely seeking refuge inside my room. I lie on my stomach, turn my laptop on, then I download new episodes of The Big Bang Theory. A few minutes later, an episode is ready. My tummy, on the other hand, begins to churn. Damn, I just ate.

Right! It's almost that time of the month. Shit. This is probably the hardest decision I've had to make since I moved in.

I get up from bed, sneak into the kitchen, then I grab some cookies and water inside the fridge. I slam it shut and carefully tiptoe back to my room again.