Chapter 4 - Tamsin

After school, I walked out of the building to meet Kai. I found him leaned over on his bike while talking to his friends in the parking lot. They stood around joking and laughing. I knew Kai's friends—Devon and Benny. Devon has a girlfriend. Her name is Nina. Hooked beneath Devon's brawny arms, she reached the tip of his nose. I think she looked to be around five feet. Her long black hair naturally curly—buoyant loops that are tight and springy. She looked like a model standing next to the three bad boys. Lucky for her, she's the only girl that they have accepted into their crew.

Benny saw me walking towards them first. He stopped talking mid-sentence, which stopped Kai from staring at him. Kai turned to look in my direction before pushing off the handles of his bike to sit up straight.

Suddenly, they all stopped talking. The four of them turned to look at me and I felt like jumping between the parked vehicles to hide myself. However, I gathered my courage and continued walking their way.

When I reached them, I lifted my hand and waved in the air in greeting.

"Hi."

"Tamsin, right?" Nina asked.

I nodded my head and smiled in her direction.

"My name is Nina. This here is Devon and Benny. They might look terrifying with their looks and height, but their bark is worse than their bite."

"What do you mean, baby girl? You aren't afraid of me." Devon smirked while looking down at her with coy eyes. Nina turned and slapped his arms.

"Stop it. You'll scare her away. You three already drive me crazy enough. Having another girl will be amazing. I'll have someone to talk to."

Kai coughed before reaching over to grab my wrist. He pulled me towards him and then placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Get on."

I didn't argue. I slipped one leg over the back. As soon as I sat behind him, Kai handed me his helmet. I put it on over my head and then wrapped my arms around his waist while he got the bike started. He nodded to his friends' goodbye before revving out of the parking lot.

"Where did you want to go first?" Kai shouted, turning his head slightly.

"Let's go to the nearest hobby store. There should be some supplies there."

Kai signaled and made a turn, heading in the direction of the nearest hobby store. On the way to the location, I couldn't help but observe how close we were to each other. I could feel the heat of his body through his grey hooded t-shirt. Even through the cotton material, I could feel how hard his abdomen was.

Did he work out? It felt like he did. I tightened my arms around his body, almost discreetly. It definitely feels like he works out.

Through my quiet observation, I didn't realize that we had already made it to the store. Kai pulled into the parking lot and parked. He turned off the engine. I moved to unbuckle the helmet before handing it to him. I moved first to get off.

We walked inside together. As I walked down the aisle looking through things, Kai walked behind me with his hand stuffed in his pockets. He said little, but followed in silence. We went up and down a few aisles. Slowly, we filled our cart with materials.

When we made it to the artificial flowers aisles, I looked with interest at the flower arrangement. I stopped to pick up a yellow sunflower before turning to him.

"Isn't it beautiful?" I asked.

He took one look at it before turning away and picking up a black rose. He tapped it on my forehead.