Chapter 22 - Tamsin

Next chapter

Two days before the end of spring break, I had Kai over while my parents were gone. We spent the entire day together at my house. It was early in the afternoon when we decided to watch a movie together.

Kai was in the kitchen making popcorn while I grabbed the blanket and pillows. I had another three hours before my parents came home. It was more than enough time to finish a movie and for Kai to go back to the motel he was staying at without my parents noticing.

I was in the living room when I heard someone put a key in the front door. I froze and my eyes went to the door. Panic sets in and I didn't have enough time to call out to Kai. The door opened and my mom walked inside. She had her work clothes on. Her eyes found me first.

"What a surprise? You are home this time. I feel like you've been so busy lately. Your dad and I haven't seen you for a while now."

She accessed the living room area and looked back at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Are you planning to watch a movie?"

The microwave beeped, and I heard Kai opening and closing the microwave door. She stopped putting her keys away and looked back at me.

"Do you have friends over?" she asked.

"Mom..."

My mom walked to the kitchen just as Kai turned around with a bowl of popcorn. He looked just as surprised to see my mom as she was to see him. I could see that she was looking at him. Her eyes doing a scan of his black v-neck t-shirt, chained necklace, black jeans, tatted up body, and messy hair.

If looks could kill, my mom would have split me open the second her eyes settled back on me.

"M-mom, this is Kai. He's a student from my school."

"And how old are you?" she asked Kai.

"Eighteen, ma'am." Kai cleaned up his speech.

"And you are Tamsin's friend?" My mom was pushing it. Her body language was a telltale. She wanted answers.

"Mom, he's my boyfriend," I replied.

My palms feel sweaty. I think the walls in our room moved several inches. Did my mom move closer to me? Why do I feel suddenly threatened? Kai sat the bowl of popcorn on the counter. The longer my mom stayed silent, the thicker the air became.

"I think I should go."

"Yes, it's time for you to go now." My mom's voice was cold and scary.

Kai walked past me. I turned to follow him. I wanted to reassure him and also see him out. My mom grabbed my arm.

"Where do you think you're going, young lady?"

"I'm going to say goodbye." I pulled my arm from my mom and hurried after Kai. Surprisingly, my mom didn't follow.

Kai was already outside and on his bike when I caught up. I grabbed his arm and squeezed it. He placed a hand over mine.

"It's fine, Dollface. Take care of things at home. I'll see you at school."

"She's upset with me because I haven't told her yet. She doesn't hate you."

He nodded his head before putting on his helmet and then revving off.

I walked back inside to find my mom in the living room window. She looked at me as soon as I walked in. Her arms crossed over her chest. She looked livid.

"Your boyfriend?" My mom accused me.

I shoved my hands into my jean shorts and shrugged. "It's what you see, mom."