Chapter 16 - Tamsin

Two weeks went by. We turned in our projects and just like that there was no longer a connection between Kai and I. Before we knew it was spring break and everybody was more than happy to leave school with plans.

Dean and I continued to talk to each other. While Kai and I barely saw each other. When we did see each other, we didn't converse like we knew each other. Both of us acted like what happened to us that night never happened.

That night, I sat on my bed and thought about everything that had happened. Quite honestly, I've been glancing at my phone more than often. My ears would perk up at the sound of the motorcycle revving. My whole body would stiffen.

Was I waiting for him?

Bringing my knees up to my chest, I stared at the hole in my wall. The damage in my wall happened when Avery and I were in eighth grade. We were throwing a tennis ball back and forth and it caused a dent in the wall.

My phone beeped. Startled, I grabbed my phone quickly from beside me and looked at the screen. It was a message from Dean. He wanted to pick me up for a spring break party tonight. His friend was hosting it.

My parents would not be home until late tonight. I could slip away and party before coming back. I texted Dean back that I'll go. He texted me back that he'll come pick me up.

Jumping off the bed, I walked to my closet and picked out a white spaghetti strapped dress. It wasn't too formal or too casual. I released my hair from my bun and it fell in natural waves around my shoulders and down my back. I put on a simple butterfly necklace and bracelet. Lastly, I put on a pair of white sandals.

I walked downstairs just in time. I saw Dean pull up in his black car. I grabbed my purse and keys before walking out to meet him. He popped out from the driver's seat and waved at me. I waved back.

"Hey," Dean greeted with a grin.

"Hey, thanks for inviting me."

"It wouldn't be fun without you." I settled into the passenger seat. Dean leaned over and helped me with my seatbelt before settling back in the driver's seat and pulling on his seatbelt.

"Thank you."

"No problem," he responded.

Dean put the car in drive and drove off. When we turned the corner of the block, he let go of the shift and reached over for my hand that was in my lap. Lifting it up, he brought it to his lips. Brushing over the back of my hand gently with them. I didn't stop him, but my guts clenched. Before I knew it, I pulled my hand back.

He saw the recoil and his eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that."

"No, it's okay." I tried to ease the tension.

Why did I pull back like that?

We went silent for several minutes. It was very awkward, and the tension was thick. I scratched the back of my neck before turning to look out the window. I could feel Dean's eyes on me now and then.

I was kind of thankful for the silence because I couldn't understand this feeling. Why was I so nervous around Dean? My heart would skip differently from how it would around Kai. My reaction was unexplainable.

Dean stopped in front of a house and I broke from my thoughts to look up. All lights in the house were on and there were people in and outside of the house, on the front lawn, and on the porch.

"I'm sorry that I did that earlier, Tamsin. I don't know what I was thinking. It just felt natural for me to do that and you know that I like you. I like you a lot."