Chapter 8 - Tamsin

The next few days, Kai came over to my house and we worked on our project. He talked and argued less. We managed to figure out what we would like for our base note, middle, and top note for our homemade perfume. It was a weird feeling. I was used to him making dirty, smartass comments every now and then. He seemed to be distracted, almost deep in thoughts. He was here, but his eyes were distant.

On Saturday morning, we put our rose petals into a cheesecloth and placed it inside a bowl. Then we poured the distilled water over the rose petals to soak overnight. This process will hopefully infuse the scents of the rose petals and start the process of making our perfumes.

When night time came, I felt the jitters. I lied to my parents that I'll be sleeping over at Avery's house. They agreed because I've been friends with Avery since elementary school.

I didn't know what to wear. I thought about picking a dress, but I thought that it might be too flashy or too much for the party. So, I picked a plaid black and white skater skirt and a black cropped sweater. I would've worn them with high heel boots, but it felt over the top and not me. So, I picked a pair of white slip on shoes. The hickeys on my neck were healing and almost disappearing, but I still wore my hair down to hide them.

Avery's house is located in the most sub urbanist place in town. Her house was considered huge and grand due to its size from the outside. Inside, it had a large foyer and living room. She even had a private chef. Her dad was a businessman.

When I arrived at the party, Avery noticed me right away. She made her way through the bodies. Loud grinding music thumping in the background. She wrapped one arm around me and leaned close to my ear.

"Oh my god, I can't believe you did it. I almost thought you would chicken out."

I shrugged my shoulders. "Technically, I didn't lie. I told my parents that I would be sleeping over at your house for the weekend. I am here."

"I'm so proud of you," Avery grinned. "We are going to have so much fun."

"There is a lot of people." I looked around me.

"I know! I think the people I invited, invited more people. Half of these people, I don't know." Avery looked me up and down. "You look gorgeous, baby. Dean and Kai are going to go crazy when they look at you."

"Are they here?"

"Kai isn't here, but I think I saw Dean come in about ten minutes ago. I'm not sure where he is." Avery looked around her living room.

Her living room looked fitting for a millionaire's home—with bleached wheat color walls and white trims. The light gold color of lighting fixtures above matches the colors of the wall. It gave a luxurious look. In the middle of the room were white sofas lined up on all four sides in front of the fireplace. A pentagon glass coffee table in the center of the sofas.

People were sitting on the sofas, dancing in the living room, and sipping mixed drinks in plastic red and white cups.

"Come on. Let me get you a drink." Avery took me to the kitchen.

It also held a luxurious almost cathedral feel to it. Beautiful refrigerators with a long island table in the middle. Drinks lined up in perfect lines on the table. Avery maneuvered behind someone and pulled me along. When we reached the table, she looked at the cups until she found what she was looking for before handing it to me.

"Oh, I don't drink. You know that," I reminded her.

"Loosen up. You are going to need it, Tamsin. You have Dean in the house. Possibly Kai too. You'll need to loosen up a little and enjoy the night."