Chapter 17 - Tamsin

"What happened, Tamsin?" My mom asked when to get up from my bed.

At first, she was going to force me out of my bedroom and enjoy my spring break with them. However, one look at me stopped her. My eyes were swollen and baggy. I didn't get any sleep because I kept having nightmares of everyone laughing at me.

My mom sat on the edge of the bed and leaned over to smooth back my hair.

"You can tell me, baby." The tender look she gave me made me want to cry all over again.

"Nothing," I replied. "I just want to stay in bed."

"Did something happen last night?"

I exhaled slowly and covered my face with both of my hands. She would not leave me alone. I know my mom and she would pester me until I say something or worse, she'll take off work to stay home with me. I needed to be alone.

"Mom..." My voice broke.

"What, baby?"

I removed my hand to look at her and tears welled up in my eyes. I pushed myself up into a sitting position and looked down in shame.

"I went to a party last night."

My mom stiffened, because I didn't tell her about it. She didn't know I was at a party. I knew she was angry with me.

"I'm sorry, mom. Before I left, I should have asked you or dad, but I wanted to have fun. I was invited, and I thought it was just a party that nothing would not happen."

"What happened?" My mom's voice grew harder and more panicky.

I looked up at her and saw that she was trying to hide her emotions. But I saw the hard set in her jawline. The way her eyes grew a little more distant.

I looked down at my hands that were in my lap.

"I got pushed into the pool and I was wearing a white dress. Everyone was laughing at me when I came out of the water. No one helped me. Later, I found out that several people recorded me and posted me online. The entire school must know by now how stupid I am."

My mom sighed and placed a hand over mine. She squeezed it gently.

"Look at me, Tamsin."

I looked up again, and she cradled one side of my face.

"You can't avoid these problems for long. As your mother, I want to scold you for going behind our back. But I realized you are growing up. You'll have to go through these things in order to grow. I can try to protect you as much as I can, but even by protecting, I could also do you a disservice. I never wanted you to be in this situation, which was why I try so hard to keep you close. You went behind my back. I am disappointed. We were able to talk to each other about these things. I guess I've been too busy to be there for you."

I shook my head. It wasn't her fault. I decided to go.

"It's my fault. I should have talked to you. I thought..." I fell silent.

My mom looked at me for a minute before she sighed and squeezed my hands again.

"Do you want me to stay home with you today?"

I shook my head immediately. "Avery is coming over soon."

My mom nodded her head in understanding before standing up.

"You can call me if you need anything."

She walked out of my room after I nodded my head. I collapsed onto the bed and covered myself with a blanket. I didn't tell her that everyone practically saw me almost naked. The panties that I wore a little on the sexier side. I wasn't a skinny girl, but a slightly thicker girl. Everyone must have seen my love handles and back fat. I wanted to die when I thought about what happened last night.