10. Choice

A l e x a n d e r

"What's your name?" She asked in her soft innocent voice.

"Alex.. Alexander Smith." I answered looking at particularly nothing.

"Oh Hey Xander! Can I call you Xander?" She ducked her head to the side.

"No." I tried acting stern. As stern as a 10 year old could be.

"Of course I can call you Xander!" She giggled at my annoyed state.

"Go home lil one. Your mom must be waiting for you." I tried shooing her away. I tried not feeling hurt at the thought of my mom not even caring I had been away for so long.

"That's where I have run away from Xander. My mom's funeral." She tried acting brave. But I could see her heart breaking amongst the cloud of tears.

"And don't call me lil one. My mom said I am a big girl. I am 7 years old! You can call me Mia. My mom calls me Mia too!" She argued.

"You're still 3 years younger than me. So I can call you lil one." I said rieling her up.

"Common Xander. Cheer up! Why are you so sad?" She started poking my cheeks.

"Don't do that. And I am not sad. I am just disappointed. And don't touch me, you may get harmed." I said.

"Oh you can never harm me Xander!" She giggled. "And why are you disappointed?" She asked.

"Your mom and dad must love you a lot, right?" I asked. She nodded with a smile. "Mine don't. They don't love me. They never do." I said. "They say bad children don't get loved by people." I looked at the empty auditorium.

"How are you a bad child? Didn't you finish your milk?" She asked. "I did." I replied. "Didn't you help others when they were in need?" She asked. I paused before replying. "I did."

"Did you lie to them?" She asked. "No I didn't." I replied. "Then how are you a bad boy?" She asked. "I couldn't pass my maths exam. I couldn't win the 100 metre race. I couldn't draw a dinosaur properly. I couldn't remember the history dates. I couldn't distinguish between the types of rocks. I couldn't face my bullies. My teacher said she can't promote me to the next grade. My dad said I would bring shame to the Smith's name." I looked down.

Mia climbed down the stage and pushed my chin upwards with her tiny little fingers. "You could still stand strong. You could still finish your glass of milk. You could still love your family. You could still help the needy one. You still didn't lie to others." She said looking into my eyes. "I am proud of you Xander." She wrapped me in her tiny arms. "Mom would be proud of you too." She said.

Soon both of us broke into tears, crying our hearts out. I cried for not receiving the love I knew I deserved. She cried for loosing the love she didn't deseve to loose.

I woke up from the dream. I still remember Mia. I don't know where she is, what's she doing, how she must be living, all I knew was I could never forget her. I didn't fell in love with her like people might assume, but she motivated me enough to live my life the way I wanted. Not on my dad's norms.