12. Samples

A m a y r a

"Are you happy to go home sweetheart?" I asked the 9 year old sitting in front of me.

"Yeah. But I'll miss you Dr. Amy!" He pouted. I chuckled at his cuteness and caressed his hair. He frowned setting his hair back to their place.

Instructing his parents about the aftercare, I checked the time. It was about to be lunch. I took my coat off and departed towards Layla's cabin.

I saw a little boy getting rolled on a wheelchair having measle type scars on his body. My mind drifted to Alexander. I was contended about sharing my feelings with him. I was on cloud nine when he reciprocated the words.

Molluscum Contagiosum.

Dermatology wasn't my specialisation. But according to the search engines, Molluscum Contagiosum wasn't a lifetime disease. Giving it a benifit of doubt, I decided to discuss the problem with my senior, Dr. Jacob Andruzzi.

Dr. Andruzzi is one of the best dermatologists of UK. He is currently working on a project in Manchester on generating awareness about common skin care and hygiene. Along with fame, he is also possessing a wide knowledge on his subject of specialisation. I hope he can answer a few of my questions.

Asking for the rest of the day off, I headed towards the camp just behind the hospital's parking lot.

Exchanging greetings I asked the grey haired man about his guidance on a few topics. He agreed to help me and that's how our conversation flew.

"Are there any skin diseases that may have a tenure of lifetime occurance?" I asked.

"Yes there are. Skin problems like Cradle Cap, Rosacea, Lupos and many more problems can even accompany an infant for lifetime." He explained.

"What about Molluscum Contagiosum?" I asked.

"It is an inflammatory skin problem that may or may not show red swollen marks on the patient's skins." He replied.

"Can Molluscum Contagiosum be chronic too? And be contagious for the entire lifetime just by touch or sharing of hygiene items or intimate gestures or anything like that?" I asked.

"Generally not. But for a few patients it may be chronic. But in that case, it won't be contagious forever. It would show contagious problems only during the infection period, that is when red marks and inflammation resurface. The patient may otherwise lead a normal life, have intimate relations, or anything else." He explained.

I was shocked would be a normal statement. Was Alexander being mislead? Or did he misunderstand his situation?

"Can the patient be harmed by UV light?" I asked.

"Absolutely not. At times UV light may be beneficial for the patient." He said.

"Can it be passed on my genetics? Like from one generation to another?" I asked.

"No. It cannot be passed genetically." He replied.

I pressed my lips for a moment. Trying to absorb everything.

"Well I have a friend who recently told me about his findings about Molluscum Contagiosum. He shared that he was diagnosed at the age of 9. It weakened his immune system along with causing dyslexic tendencies. He also faces problems in physical activities. He had been advised by his former doctor to avoid UV light, direct contacts, missing tablets and many more such precautions that led him to believe that he has a serious skin problem. They say it is contagious and genetical too. Can you help him anyhow?" I asked him expectedly.