Chapter 28: A complete family

A m a y r a

After our tour to the icecream parlour, we had a day out with Kiara. She was such an innocent soul. But brave at the same time. She was merely 5, yet she knew what self respect truly meant.

I was sitting on the bench and watching Alexander running around with Kiara and swirling her up into the air. Kiara giggled and looked genuinely happy.

I felt a pang in my heart realising how I could never be able to give Alexander to be a father, how I couldn't panic witnessing the two lines, how I could never hode my test kit and surprise Alexander with the news to see him tearing up, how I could never bother Alexander with my early morning cravings and mood swings how-

"You're overthinking again, Mia. I love you and you're all I'll ever need in my life." He said kissing me on the forehead.

I smiled at him with glossy eyes. I saw Kiara sprinting towards me. She collided with me with a thud sound and snuggled into my belly.

"Thank you, Amy! You're the best! I love you!" She said in a muffled voice. I smiled and caressed her hair.

"How about you go and play on the swings and I join you in a while, Kiara?" Alexander asked her. She excitedly nodded and went onto the swings. He took a seat beside me and put his arms around my shoulders.

"She is so cute!" Alexander said with a smile.

"It could have been cute too." I said in a hushed voice.

"Who?" Alexander furrowed his eyebrows. "The baby I miscarried." I said as a tear slipped my eye. Alexander froze beside me.

"You knew?" He asked me. I nodded at him. "I took the test that day at the hospital. I was pregnant. I was happy. I wanted to go home and prepare a surprise for you with a home test kit. But I got a call from Ava, and everything happened." I sniffled. "Only if I had been more careful. We could have had our baby." I cried out in his chest.

"Shh Mia. None of the mishaps were your fault. I have you and that's what matters the most." He said caressing my hair.

There was a long silence prevailing between us. "Mia?" He called out. I hummed in reply. "Can I suggest you something?" He asked me looking dead into my eyes. I hummed in encouragement.

"How about we adopt Kiara?" He asked me. There was no hint of mischief in his eyes suggesting his seriousness about the issue.

"Will we be able to take care of her? Do you think I could be a good mom?" I asked in a hushed voice. He wiped the stray tear. "Ofcourse, baby. You'll be the best mother a child could ever get." He said placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Let's make Kiara comfortable around us and then ask of she is ready for being a part of Smiths. If she says yes, I'll look after the legal procedures. After a few years, we can adopt another, just to make our family a even number. You know, I don't like odd numbers." He scrunched up his nose. I chuckled and nodded.

"Sounds like a plan." I said with a smile.

The succeeding days went with us making constant efforts for Kiara. She had been more open to us. We had a discussion with her care taker, Ms. Jonnas, about the procedure regarding adoption. She's a sweet lady. She helped us with everything and told us to have patience with Kiara. She has suffered too much for a 5 year old.

On a fine Sunday, we took Kiara out to amusement park. She couldn't look happier.

"I had the best in my life!" She chirped brightly. I heard Alexander chuckle beside her. "Your life consists of 1850 days in total, my love." He said ruffling her hair. She scrunched up her nose in annoyance. Yeah, she learnt it from Xander.

"Don't mess my hair, Paa!" She huffed. She initially addressed Alexander as Alex but he asked him to call him Papa. Oblivious to why, she started calling him paa, saying it sounds cooler.

She still calls me Amy though. But I know things will change after today. We asked her caretaker if we could spend the night with her. She agreed after our constant assurance.

"Kia? Would you like to stay over at our place?" I asked caressing her cheeks as she munched upon her churros.

"If sissy agrees, then sure." She said shaking her head at the random tune played in the cafe.

"Okay then! Get ready for a sleep over you little munchkin!" Alexander tickled her making her burst into fits of laughter.

The day ended with a positive note of what importance family holds for us. We may seem to be ungrateful to our parents and take them for granted majorly in our lives. We don't seem to realise their input in our lives unless we become a parent ourselves.

"Kia, baby can we ask you something?" I started the conversation as Kiara slept on Alexander's chest.

"Yes Amy?" She answered.

"Baby, I want you to think wisely and answer. Do you feel happy and secure with us?" I asked.

"A big yess! You guys are the best! You make me feel safe. And I know you'll never ever ever harm me." She chirped. Alexander smiled and placed a kiss on her head.

"We'll never ever ever harm you baby." He whispered.

I took a deep breath. "Kiara, would you like to be a part of our family? Would you accept me and Alexander as your parents?" I said in a single breath.

Kiara froze for a while. "Like I'll be your daughter? Paa will be my dad and you'll be my mom?" She asked softly. I nodded nervously.

"Yes baby." I said. "You'll never leave me right?" She asked in a hushed voice. I shook my head in no violently. "Never ever baby." I whispered with glossy eyes.

"Okay, mamma." And oh my! Did my heart just missed a beat? I sobbed and hugged Kiara to my chest.

"Why are you crying, Mamma?" She asked wiping my tears. "Mamma is emotional baby. She never thought she'll get such a good girl as her daughter." Alexander said caressing my hair with a huge smile on his face. His eyes were glossy too.

Finally, my life is complete.
~~~
Last chapter? May be.