Distant Memories

Normally summer would be the best season of the year but now it was just a painful reminder. She wished her uncle had never spoken because hearing those words crushed her from the inside.

'Your father suffered from severe injuries, even magic couldn't save him...' More tears streaked down her cheeks as she replayed Philip's words inside her head.

Marceline had cut everybody out of her life, she didn't want to talk nor see anyone for the past month. The girl isolated herself in the confines of her room, alone and stuck with her loud thoughts. She wasted her time inside her bedroom, contemplating about how clueless she was going to be for the rest of her life.

It was painful to attend to his funeral, Marceline hardly made it through and couldn't bring herself to watch his casket descend into the dirt. All the members of Appleby Arrows were present to pay their respects and said their goodbyes.

She never thought her father's last greatest gift would be an annoying Snidget. But today she'd learned to appreciate all the things she was gifted with including Ozzie. The Snidget seemed to have sensed her emotions and would often caress her cheek with its beak. His red eyes stared back at Marceline as if Ozzie was trying to say that he was there for her. Nibbling at her neck in attempt to comfort her.

Letters from her friends and relatives were piled up onto one corner of her room. They sat there compiling and collecting dust. She didn't bother reading nor did she bother to write back. Marceline wanted to be left alone. Everything that was pasted onto the ceiling and walls of her bedroom had been ripped off, torn to pieces. All her hopes and dreams were scattered on the floor like broken glass that had been shattered.

The only thing she had in her mind right now was all the memories she had with her father. Replaying over and over like a broken record. He just disappeared. No goodbye, no famous last words, no nothing. Marceline didn't even get the chance to tell him how much she loved him and how much he meant to her. There were a lot of things left unsaid that she wanted to tell him in person but never got the chance to do so. And probably never will.

In a few days, Marceline's birthday would come around but it didn't feel very celebratory. Normally the day would start off with the sun rays peeking past her blinds but today it seemed oddly cloudy outside. The depressing atmosphere hung all over the house, no one was in a celebrating mood. Early in the morning, her father would come home to surprise Marceline once she woke up but this time... he wasn't going to be waiting downstairs with a bright smile on his face to greet her a 'Happy Birthday'.

Because reality is a bitch and he was gone, for good.

Marceline didn't leave her room the entire day, she just laid down on her bed and stared up at the ceiling. Nico hadn't taken it lightly either, he too spent his days locked up in his own room. Nico would try and comfort his sister but all he'd achieved was silent treatment.

It was always a rare sight to see Marceline cry, she simply didn't do it so often. Whenever she did, it was something extremely bothersome.

"She's right here." Marceline heard her mother whisper from the other side of her bedroom door. A loud creak reverberated through her room as footsteps thumped against the wooden floor.

"Marcy, someone's here to see you." Her mother said softly, Marceline didn't reply nor did she bother to look and kept her gaze glued to the bedpost. Her back facing the door, hugging her legs over her chest in attempt to comfort herself.

More footsteps followed as someone stepped inside and closed the door behind them. This person approached her cautiously, she felt the spot next to her sink as they sat down next to her on the bed.