Chapter 2

Hazel POV

I woke up early in the morning to go to the hospital. Whenever I had the time, I would go to the local children's hospital and volunteer. I usually helped the cancer patients. It's usually where I was needed the most.

I greeted all the nurses, said hello to the children, and gave them the gifts I had bought or made for them. I was close to all of them, but there was one girl in particular whom I was closer to. Her name was Alice, and she had been there for over a year. Her family almost never came to see her, and she had a sort of nanny by her side all the time. I felt bad for her, which made me want to be with her longer than the other children. Most children had their family by their side, but not Alice. She told me her brother was the only one who would visit her from time to time, but he was still in school, and he only came when he had time. That made me angry, but I could see Alice light up whenever she spoke about him, so I obviously never said anything.

"Hey Alice!" I said as I walked into her room.

She looked up at me and yelled, "Hazel!" I ran to her bed and gave her a hug.

She looked a little down. She must have gone through another round of chemo. "How are you doing, Alice?" I asked her.

She looked up at me with those little green eyes. I felt my heart leap. This last round was definitely hard on her. "I'm ok. I just feel a little sick sometimes," she said.

"Hmmm, I know what will make you feel better. How about a tea party?" I said.

"Yay, a tea party," she said.

"Let's go invite the other kids," I said.

"Yay!! Let's go!" She said. I carried her, knowing she didn't have much energy.

We went to the play area along with other little kids. We were all having a good time. After we all played a few games, I made sure the kids went back to their rooms to take a nap.

I looked at the time, and unfortunately, it was time for me to go. "Aw, do you really have to go?" Alice said.

"Yes, I do. I'm sorry, Alice," I said.

"Aw, I wanted you to stay. There is a new doctor here, and he looks really mean. I get scared every time he comes to see me," she said with a sad face.

I looked at my watch. I could stay for another hour. "Tell you what, I'll wait with you today till the doctor comes, then I'll go, but I promise I'll be back tomorrow and wait till the doctor sees you again. How does that sound?"

Alice stood up and hugged me. "Yay! Thank you, Hazel."

"You're very welcome," I said.

I waited about 30 minutes with Alice, and we played while we waited for the doctor.

After that, the new doctor arrived in Alice's room. He looked at me and said, "Excuse me, who are you?" I could see why Alice was scared of him. He looked like he hated kids, and someone was forcing him to be there.

"Oh, that's Hazel. She volunteers here. All the kids love her," Nurse Penny said.

"Well, only family can be here, so Miss Hazel, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," he said with a stern face.

"No!" Alice started crying and hugged me.

“Umm Doctor. Could I please stay with Alice while you check up on her? I promised I would be here with her until you do so, and I would hate to break a promise,” I said.

The doctor hesitated, but Nurse Penny stepped in. “Doctor Anderson, if I may, Hazel here is like an angel to these children. She’s helped them through tough times, and they all have a strong connection with her. We weren’t able to get near a lot of children, but with Hazels help, the children have more trust towards us.”