Chapter 11

Hazel POV

I woke up with a start, my heart racing, and sweat pouring down my face. Another nightmare, I thought. It wasn't a new experience for me, and it left me feeling drained and exhausted. I checked the time, and it was still early. I tried to go back to sleep, but I knew it was pointless, so I got up.

As I looked at my reflection in the mirror, I saw dark circles under my eyes. Great, I muttered. I tried to ignore my headache, but it only got worse as the day went on. I decided to head to work anyway; it was my first day as Mr. Jameson's new secretary, and I didn't want to make a bad impression.

When I got to work, I sat down at my desk and went over the day's activities. Aiden, my new boss, walked up to me and greeted me. "Good morning, Mr. Jameson. Anything I could do for you?" I asked him.

"No, thank you. Are you okay?" he asked me.

I touched the dark circles under my eyes and tried to hide them. "I am, thank you," I said, breaking eye contact.

"Very well, I will be in my office," he said before walking away.

I could feel my headache intensifying, and I thought about taking some medication. However, just thinking about the past gave me the shivers, so I decided against it.

It was already lunchtime, and I knocked on Aiden's office door. He told me to come in, and I saw him looking out the window. "Mr. Jameson, it's lunchtime. If it's okay with you, I'm going to head out for lunch," I said.

He looked at his watch and sighed. "Right. I completely lost track of time. You're welcome to go to lunch. I was actually going to ask if you wanted to have lunch together, to celebrate your first day as my new secretary," he said.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to have lunch with him, but I didn't want to be rude. "I appreciate the offer, Mr. Jameson, but I'm going to have to decline," I said, avoiding eye contact.

"Is there anything you need before I head out?" I asked him.

He shook his head and said, "No, it's fine. Enjoy."

"Thanks," I whispered before walking out the door.

I headed straight to the elevator and made my way down the street to meet Dr. Anderson. He was waiting for me when I arrived at the restaurant, and I greeted him with a smile. "Hi, Dr. Anderson."

He stood up and said, "Hello, Hazel. Please, it's Michael."

I blushed at my mistake and said, "Fine, Michael."

The hostess led us to our table, and Michael pulled out my chair. "Please have a seat, Hazel," he said.

"Thank you," I whispered.

We sat down, and Michael started the conversation. "Well, Hazel, I was wondering if you could maybe come by the hospital more often and maybe help me with the pediatric patients and give me a few pointers."

"I love going to the hospital, but I just started a new job, and I don't have the flexibility I used to," I replied.

Michael looked disappointed, but I continued, "That wasn't a no, Michael. It just means I'm not as flexible as I used to be. But I would do anything for those kids. I know what they are going through, and I would do anything for them. Which includes helping you get along with them."

Michael smiled at me. "Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate it this"

"It's no problem, and if you don't mind me asking, why did you get into pediatric oncology if well..." I started to say.

"If I don't get along with kids?" He completed my sentence. "Well, if I'm being honest, it's because of my parents. They are both in that field, and well, it was expected of me. I wanted to get I to surgery, " he stated.

"And why don't you?" I asked him.

"Well, because...." He didn't seem to know what to say.

"You really should follow your dreams, Michael." I said. Then I looked at the time and realized it was time for me to go back to work. "It's time for me to go back to work. Of it's alright, I'll text you when I have a day off, and we could both see how that fits our schedules, " I said.

"Yes. Of course." I saw him quickly stand up and pull out my chair.

"Thank you." I said, and I pulled out my wallet.

"Please, it's on me," he said.

"No, I can't..." I started to say.

"Please. You can treat me next time, " he said.

"Alright. I'll take your word for it, " I responded, and he nodded and smiled at me.

Then we parted ways, and I went back to work