Chapter 6

Aiden POV

As I watched Hazel walk out of the closet, my stomach turned. How could I say those things about her? I felt like the worst human being on earth. Spencer continued to make fun of her, but I couldn't bear to listen to it anymore. I left the party and went home, unable to sleep.

My conscience weighed heavily on me. My mom always taught me to respect women, and if she saw what I did, she would be ashamed of me. I knew I had to make it right somehow.

The next day, I visited Alice in the hospital. My dad was always busy with work, and my stepmom was preoccupied with her own things, so I was the only one who visited her regularly. When I arrived, the nurses told me that Alice was in the play area with the hospital angel, Hazel, and that she would be back in her room in ten minutes. So, I decided to wait for her.

As I sat beside Alice's bed, I turned around and saw Hazel holding hands with my sister. It was clear how much they cared for each other. But, I could also see that Hazel was uncomfortable because of me. Alice made us say hello, and I could tell that Hazel was uneasy. Later, when I was alone with Alice, she couldn't stop talking about Hazel.

When my sister had a panic attack, I was scared, but Hazel managed to calm her down. She was there for Alice, and I was grateful for that.

When Hazel came to say goodbye, I could see the sadness in my sister's eyes. I was surprised when Alice asked me to say goodbye to her, but I didn't know what to say or do. Hazel raised her hand and looked at me, but then she almost ran away.

I stayed a little longer with Alice but eventually had to leave. I had a big test the next day that I needed to study for. As I walked down the hall, I overheard the nurses talking about the hospital angel. I asked them who they were referring to, and they said it was Hazel.

They told me that she was a temp, and she used her days off to come and visit the kids at the hospital. She even bought them presents. They called her the hospital's angel because she was so kind to everyone. And, every time Alice had to get blood drawn, they called her, and she took the day off just so that my sister wouldn't have a panic attack. I felt like the worst person on earth.

I said goodbye to the nurses and headed towards the elevator, where I saw Hazel talking to the same doctor from earlier. He looked nervous. Was he asking her out on a date? I thought to myself. But Hazel was too nice to say no. I tried to talk to her about Alice, but she was blunt with me and threw in my face that we didn't visit Alice often. It was true. My family was pretty messed up, and no one cared about Alice except for me.

I offered to give her a ride, but she declined. When I tried to apologize, she walked out the door without letting me finish. I chased after her and tried to apologize again, but she wouldn't let me. I felt like the worst human being on earth.

And then it hit me. She was a temp, and that's how I could make it up to her and thank her at the same time.