Chapter 10

Hazel POV

I woke up to the realization that I had to work at the law firm for the next six months. I had no choice, and Chloe promised not to go downstairs and talk to Aiden. I arrived on time at work, and my training was going well under Arlene's guidance.

Arlene left me alone for a couple of minutes while she went to see Mr. Jameson. I felt my phone vibrate and saw a message from Dr. Anderson. I had completely forgotten about our appointment today. I asked Arlene what time I would get off work, and she told me that it depended on our boss's needs.

Aiden interrupted Arlene and said that I should stay for the meeting today. He wanted me to learn how to take notes and understand how they proceed with their meetings. Then he looked at me and said that I should cancel my plans for later that day, say with a certain doctor. I knew that he had overheard my conversation with Dr. Anderson, but I pretended to play dumb.

During lunch, I texted Dr. Anderson asked him if we could do lunch tomorrow. He agreed and asked where my office was so that we could go somewhere nearby. I told him about a restaurant down the block, and he said he was fine with that.

It was now 6 pm, and Arlene and I accompanied our bosses to their meeting. Arlene asked me to take notes on everything they said and have the agenda ready in case I needed to add something or move things around. After the meeting ended, Mr. Jameson said that I would officially be his son's new secretary starting tomorrow. I was shocked and thought that I would still undergo more training before having to be close to Aiden.

Arlene went to Mr. Jameson's office to discuss some things while Aiden and I were left alone in the meeting room. He stared at me, and I felt uncomfortable. He asked me if I was ready to leave, and I nodded. We made our way to the elevator, and just as the doors were closing, Aiden walked in. I looked away and made my way to the far corner of the elevator, but he stood in front of me with his back to me.

"So how are you liking your job so far?" he asked.

"Seems easy enough," I whispered.

"Good. Would it be OK if I gave you a ride home?" he said.

"No, thank you, Mr. Jameson. I can make it home on my own just fine," I said.

"Hazel, we are going in the same direction. There is no point in you taking the subway," he said.

"I completely disagree. There is no point in you taking me," I said.

He turned around and looked at me. "Hazel, this needs to stop. Look, I already told you I'm really sorry. What happened the other day was wrong."

"Mr. Anderson, I really don't care about what happened the other day. You are now my boss, and I will always have a professional attitude towards you while I'm at work. However, outside of work, I do not want to be associated with you in any way," I said. "So based on that, if you offer me a ride home after work, I am allowed to say no to you, am I not?" I had no idea where I was getting all that confidence came from.

"Hazel, why are you being so difficult. I just want to give you a ride to our apartment complex. You're off work late because of me. We live in the same place. It only makes sense we leave together, " he said.

"I dont..." Right, as I said those words, he yelled,"Damn it, " and he hands hit the elevator walls behind me. I jumped. He had both his arms over either side of my head. My heart started beating so fast that I thought it was going to pop out of my chest. He face was so close to mine.

"Hazel. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Please let me give you a ride. I promised my sister I would bring you to the hospital on Saturday. It's late and I don't want anything bad to happen to you. Please let me give you a ride home, " he said.

My heart and my head were going a million miles an hour. "Ok," I said. He nodded, and then he took his hands off the wall and stood in front of me once again.

"Thank you," he said, and then the elevator door opened. We both walked out, and I followed him to his car.

We drove in silence our apartment. We arrived and he parked his car the basement parking. We walked to the elevator, still in silence. We made it to Aiden's floor, and before he walked out, he said, "I'm sorry about how I acted. I'll see you tomorrow. " I nodded, and the elevator doors closed.

I finally made it home. Chloe texted me that she was spending the night at a guy's house. I then had dinner and got into bed and couldn't sleep thinking about how I was going to survive these next six months.