Chapter 9

Hazel POV

Aiden and I sat at the conference table in silence, my mind racing with a million thoughts. "Mr. Jameson..." I began.

"Please, Hazel, have a seat and call me Aiden," he said, gesturing to the table.

I hesitated before taking a deep breath and sitting down. "As I was saying, Mr. Jameson, I had no idea you were going to be my new boss. Your company and identity were kept from me when I was hired. If I had known all of this beforehand, I wouldn't have accepted the job."

"Well, that's unfortunate, Hazel. However, you are here now, and I do hope we can get along," he said.

"I don't think working here is a good idea. I believe it would be in our best interest if I left this position," I said.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Hazel, and even if I said yes, there is no way that can happen. It would breach the contract you signed. You may not resign nor be fired for a 6-month period," he replied.

"There has to be a way. I do not want to be here. This goes against my rights. How can you force me to stay here for 6 months when I don't want to be here?" I said, growing agitated.

"I am sorry you feel that way, but we didn't force you to sign that contract. You decided to sign it, and now you and I have to abide by it," he said.

"I don't agree. There has got to be a way to break that contract," I said, looking away.

Aiden sighed. "What's so bad about this job? You have decent pay, you don't have a big workload, you..."

I looked up at him with disbelief. "It's simple. You don't like me, and I don't like you. That's what's so bad about this job," I said, crossing my arms.

"I certainly don't dislike you. I know what happened the other day..." he started to say.

"I honestly do not care what I heard the other day, so please do us both a favor and do not mention it again," I said, looking at him.

"If that's the case, I don't see how us working together will be a problem. Especially since I made it clear that I don't dislike you, and to be quite honest, I am a little hurt to hear that you dislike me," he said, looking at me with intense eyes.

The way he looked at me made my heart race. How could he say he doesn't dislike me? We should both have a mutual hatred for each other. I should hate him with all my might. I really should. But for some reason, I doubted that I really did.

"Regardless, I..." I tried to say, but we were interrupted by a knock on the door. We both looked up and saw Arlene walk in.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but Aiden, your father is waiting for you in his office, and Hazel, if you're ready, I would like to show you what exactly you have to do here," Arlene said.

"Right. Hazel, I will see you later," Aiden said as he stood up and walked towards the door.

Arlene turned to me and said, "Shall we get to work?" I sighed heavily and nodded. I couldn't get out of this mess right now, so I had to comply. I needed Chloe; she would know what I should do.

The day went surprisingly fast, and the workload was not difficult. However, I didn't know if I would like all the staff here. Some people seemed

The day went surprisingly fast. The workload was definitely not difficult and however I don’t know if I would like all the staff here. Some people seemed very friendly, but there were a few people who seemed like they went thru life with someone constantly sticking needles in them.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to work with Aiden today. He had a temporary secretary while I was being trained.

Once the day ended, I literally ran out of that office. I made it home and literally let out a loud scream. I looked around, but unfortunately, the apartment was empty.

I decided to be productive while I waited for Chloe, so I took a long shower and started to get dinner ready.

After about an hour, Chloe finally arrived. She walked inside, and we instantly made eye contact. “Hayz how was your…” She didn’t finish that sentence. “Hayz tell me what happened.” She said, guiding me towards the sofa.

We both sat down, and I told Chloe everything. “What should I do?” I asked Chloe.

Chloe gave me a quick hug. “Hayz you should have called me! How were you able to live thru today without calling me? That Aiden makes me so mad! I’ll tell you what we’re going to do. We are going to his apartment right now and...” She said as she stood up.

I looked up at her and pulled her back to the sofa. “Chloe I’m serious.” I said.

“I’m serious too! We should go over to his apartment and beat the living….” Chloe said.

“Chlo please! I…” I started to say.

“Don’t worry, Hayz, I got this. I’m calling my lawyer right now” she said.