Chapter 39

Hazel POV

Saturday morning kicked off with Aiden dropping me at the hospital. I headed straight to the children's ward, greeted Nurse Penny with a "Hi," and spent some quality time with the kids.

Playing with them left me a bit more drained than usual, but I figured my doctor would sort that out on Monday. My early appointment for the yearly checkup needed a reminder to Aiden, who sounded concerned when I requested time off a couple of weeks ago.

The day at the hospital breezed by. As I bid farewell to the nurses, Dr. Anderson appeared unexpectedly at the exit.

"Hazel, did I miss you again?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm heading out," I replied.

"I would have loved to join you with the kids. They always respond better when they see me with you," he said.

"Sorry, I've been coming in earlier," I explained.

"I know, probably something to do with the guy who 'isn't' your boyfriend. You're spending more time with him, right?" he probed.

"I'll see you around," I brushed it off, increasing my pace.

"Sorry, Hazel," he caught up as he grabbed my arm and leaned closer.

"Bye, Dr. Anderson," I said as I walked away. I didn't appreciate his reminders about my relationship with Aiden, especially when our future remained uncertain.

My mood lifted as Aiden pulled up with Alice in his car.

"Hazel!" Alice exclaimed as I got in.

I turned and hugged her. "Hi, sweetheart, how are you doing?" I asked.

"Good. I went to the doctor on Wednesday for a checkup, and he said I was doing good," she smiled.

"That's amazing, sweetheart," I replied. "Speaking of which, Aiden, before I forget to remind you, I'm coming in late on Monday. I have my yearly physical," I said.

"Oh, right. Do you want me to come with you?" Aiden offered.

"No, it's fine. You know it's just for insurance," I replied.

"I can still come if you'd like," he insisted.

"No, it's fine. Now, who's ready for the arcade?" I asked cheerfully.

"I am!" Alice yelled.

We arrived at the arcade and had a blast, spending the entire afternoon there. As we left, Alice suggested, "Hazel, can we all have a sleepover? We haven't had one in a long time."

"Uh, I don't know," I said, glancing at Aiden.

"My dad isn't here. It's up to you," he replied.

"Then it's settled, sleepover it is," I decided.

Aiden smiled, interlocking his hand with mine, and kissed it, just as Alice yelled, "Yes!"

We reached the Jameson mansion, watching movies until Alice fell asleep. Aiden carried her to her room, and then we settled into his old bedroom. "You're amazing, you know that?" Aiden whispered as he held me.

I blushed and replied, "I love you."

"I love you too," he replied, giving me a kiss, and soon, we both fell asleep.

The following day, I received an SOS from Chloe. She was apparently dying from a hangover and needed me to nurse her back to health. I laughed and texted Aiden, informing him that Chloe needed me and that I would call him later.