Chapter 16

Hazel POV

I woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing. It was a text from Chloe. "Hey Haz, sorry I couldn't wake you up this morning. I have to go to work early. Catch up later?"

I replied, "No worries, Chlo. Have a good day at work!"

I sat up in bed and checked my other messages. Nurse Penny had messaged me about visiting the children at the hospital today, but I wasn't feeling well. I decided to text her back, "Sorry, Penny, not feeling up to it today. Maybe next time."

She instantly texted me, asking if u was ok. I told her I was just but tired and would go next week. She replied by telling me to get well soon.

Soon after, Michael (Dr. Anderson) texted me, "Hey Hazel, how are you feeling today? I noticed you weren't at the hospital this morning."

I hesitated before replying, not wanting to worry him, "I'm feeling better, just decided to rest this weekend."

Then a text came in from Aiden, "Hey Hazel, how are you doing? Everything okay?"

I smiled to myself, surprised by his concern. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit under the weather. Thanks for asking."

I decided to go see my doctor to make sure everything was alright. As expected, I hated being in the hospital. The smell, the memories from my childhood, and everything made me uncomfortable. My doctor gave me a full checkup and ran some tests, saying that I looked a little pale. I tried not to worry too much and just waited for the results.

After leaving my doctor's office, I decided to walk through Central Park. I smiled as I saw kids with their families, and I wondered if I was ever going to have that myself.

I made it back to my apartment complex, and Chloe texted me that she was going to be gone all weekend and asked how I was doing. I told her I was fine and was just going to relax this weekend.

I walked through the door of my apartment complex, and to my dismay, Spencer and Aiden were exiting.

"Hazel, hi," Aiden said.

Just as Spencer said, "How are you feeling."

As if Spencer cared. I usually didn't hold grudges, but after what happened, I could say with all certainly that I disked Spencer.

"Hi. I'm feeling better, thanks. Um, excuse me, " I said, trying to make my way past them as fast as possible.

"Hazel," I heard Aiden say, and I internally groaned and turned towards him.

"Yeah." I asked.

"Alice is getting discharged from the hospital today,"  he said.

I instantly felt happy and excited. "What really? Why didn't anyone tell me?" I asked, regretting not going to the hospital today.

"Alice wanted to surprise you and asked everyone to keep it a secret," he said.

Now I felt even worse for not going. "I'm actually going to pick her up now. Do you think you could come with me? I'm picking her up at the hospital and driving her home, " he said.

Home, as in his parents' home. Damn I want to be there for Alice, but I really didn't like to bear her brother. I obviously saw him at the office, but I had to be there. However, this was for Alice. I had to suck it up and do it.

"Sure," I said.

Aiden smiled at me. "Thanks, Hazel. Alice is going to be so happy."

I looked up at him and said, "Sure, no problem anything for Alice."

I walked with Aiden and Spencer to the parking garage.

"Uh, bye guys," Spencer said as he walked to his car.

"Bye, man," Aiden replied, and I looked up at Aiden. "Spencer doesn't like kids or hospitals. I was actually going to go on my own, but I'm really glad I bummed into you, " he said.

Oh wow. What a friend Spencer is.
"Oh, I see." I simply respond and enter Aidens' car.

"So how are you feeling?" He asked me as he drove.

"Better," I responded.

"I'm glad," he smiled at me, and I blushed and looked out the window.

I didn't want to pry, but I was curious about why his parents weren't going to pick Alice up from the hospital. I hesitated but decided to ask Aiden. "What about your parents? Are they going to be at the hospital? " I asked.

He looked at me and back at the road. "No." He sighed. "You know my dad. He's always busy, and well, my step mom doesn't really care about us, " he said with a serious face.

"I'm sorry to hear that." I was shocked, to say the least. "At least Alice has you." I replied.

He turned towards me and gave me a small smile. "I love that little girl to death. She reminds me so much if my mom. I guess that's why my dad tends to avoid her. " he sighed. "My mom died giving birth to Alice. My dad never really recovered from that. He buried himself in his work and forgot about us. Well, except when it came to business. That's when we were all one big happy family." He said.

I was not expecting that. I never knew I would see this side of Aiden. He seemed like he had the perfect life. I guess not everything isn't what it seems.

"Tell me about you, mother." I said, trying to lighten the mood.

Aiden expression changed as he talked about her. "She was the greatest. She was the type of person who would always be there for anyone who needed her. She was so sweet and funny, " he said.

"Sounds like she was an amazing person," I said.

"She was." He said.

I didn't even notice, but we were already at the hospital.

"You ready?" He asked me, and I nodded and got out of his car.