Act 2 - Chapter 9

Into 1985...

          I'd moved to eight different schools over my eighteen years. By the fourth, I lived in constant fear my mother would spontaneously decide to move, looking for something new. I never let myself join clubs, make any deep friendships, or explore where I lived. I just went from home, to work, to school, and back.

Hawkins, Indiana was different. I'd officially turned eighteen years old here meaning I chose to stay here when my mother made her impulsive decision that Indianapolis was the better Indiana city. My sister made a fuss about being told to leave without me. My mother didn't make a fuss about her staying. I was legally allowed to watch over my sister, staying with the friends she made. We didn't have to leave and start over.

For my eighteenth birthday in May, the pack of children who destroying my house daily decided to stage a giant water balloon fight in the local junk yard. They built an entire course and everything. Apparently, they'd tried for paintball, but Nancy and Steve both said no and wouldn't help purchase them. The water balloons didn't get violent, with only Lucas getting a bloody nose from Dustin and El cheating once.

Okay, maybe twice.

         I had real friendships for the first time in years. Eddie and I smoked weed together at least twice a week and listened to a lot of music. He even 'dragged' me to a couple concerts. For my birthday, Eddie drove us out to the middle of nowhere, leaving my sister in the care of Max's mum, and we camped for the weekend. My present from him was a spare key to his van, which made me feel honoured since no one drove his van, and a hat embroidered with 'Dungeon Master's Assistant'. In addition to the hat was an invitation to Hellfire Club, as a spectator or player. That made me tear up. Eddie bought a crappy bottle of champagne, toasting to my eighteenth birthday and his sworn upcoming graduation of 1985.

Robin was the friend I could act like a child with. I refused to eat sugar with her or in her presence though. I'd seen her drunk once at a party and I just knew that sugar wouldn't end well. Madison was thankful I had a friend she matched energy with. Nancy may have given great fashion advice, but Madison preferred when Robin was over to encourage the chaos. After the school band lost a trumpet player to a skiing accident and a broken hand, Robin didn't give me a moment of peace for three days until I agreed to fill the role for the remaining school year. I knew I gave in too quickly, but that girl could be a lot. I loved her, but I plotted her death during those days more than once.

The best moment of playing in the band was attending the 1985 graduation. I cheered loudly for Steve and Billy as they crossed the stage. Eddie didn't pass all his classes, however, which really sucked. No matter how he tried to hide it, he was bummed. I'd tossed Madison off to Max's parents again and we hibernated in Eddie's room for two days. Yes there was marijuana, but it was mainly just listening to music and lying there. I watched Eddie cry for the first time. It wasn't a lot of tears, but enough for me to become determined. I planted a kiss on his lips before promising him that I'd drag him by his shirt across the stage with me if I had to. He was graduating. He would only be repeating senior year three times. If not, I was going to create a fake diploma for him. Fuck Principal Higgins. 

Cheering for Steve didn't surprise anyone. Our friendship had gotten stronger since the events in October. But also, it's King Steve. Even if he hadn't gone by that title for at least a year. There weren't many silent people in the audience when he crossed the stage. That surprised him, which he told me after. Even if his parents attended, he'd expected silence.

Cheering for Billy on the other hand, got me looks from the band. An old friend of Steve's, Carol began calling me 'Billy's whore' at some point during the year. People knew we parked beside each other, exchanging the occasional comment in the parking lot. Most people assumed it was about our sisters, who'd been glued at the hip. Only Robin and Nancy knew that our conversations didn't always stay on that topic. I don't think any of Billy's "friends" did. I kept as much of it as I could from Eddie and Steve. They both looked down at my friendship with Billy.

 No one knew that Billy Hargrove sat on my roof most nights, sharing a joint. Some weekends, he laid on my couch watching ridiculous cartoons for hours after he'd dropped Max off.

I was careful about what I said to Billy. After the night he almost killed Steve, I worked not to see Billy that angry again. I left my window unlocked for the nights Neil Hargrove decided to "parent" his son, and I'd wake up in the morning with Billy sleeping in my room. Sometimes on the floor, but more often as of late, he was on the bed. I offered him a house key but Billy wouldn't take it, stating he'd never need it and that he was fine.

          The friend sleeping over the most was Steve Harrington. If you'd asked me that when I first moved to Hawkins, I might've guessed Robin. Not the prior King of Hawkins High. It started with Steve staying for dinner once I found out how rarely his parents were home. I couldn't make dinner for Madison and I without thinking about Steve alone in that giant house. He started getting daily phone calls and would be over fifteen minutes later. 

He progressively stayed later and later, until it was ridiculous for him to drive home. Usually, he would sleep on the couch. But sometimes we'd be a little drunk and snuggle into my bed. Long, stressful days at work? A friendly cuddle and quietly talking to sleep was always nice. Homework getting too much? A shoulder massage and reading until the book fell to the floor.

Okay, maybe more often than not, Steve and I woke up wrapped up in each other, my bedsheets sprawled on the floor. We never discussed it.

Our friendship was solidified in Hawkins history when I got into a fight with Tommy's girlfriend, Carol. I'd never had a conversation with the girl, but Carol felt like she needed to bark comments at me whenever she got a chance. While standing at my locker one morning, Carol decided to start talking trash to Steve with Tommy and their little friends gathered around. Billy stood off to the side, keeping his mouth shut. I knew it was for my sake, as Billy took any chance to take a bite out of Steve. When I stepped between Carol and a silent Steve, the crowd got larger.

 Apparently, Carol wasn't a fan of someone standing up to her. I only got one swing in after Carol was pressured by the crowd into pushing me before a teacher arrived and gave us both detention. Carol's nose was bleeding which didn't look good on me. Steve broke me out from the hell of sitting in the office, both of us flipping Carol off as we went.

It wasn't just myself that I was happy to stay in Hawkins. Since I stayed in Hawkins, Madison was allowed to stay and keep her friends. She and Max, and eventually El when she was allowed out of Hopper's cabin, were always surrounded by the Boys. If Steve, Billy and I were to park next to each other at school, I would swear we were driving half of the middle school. Of course, neither Billy nor Steve would risk their cars' safety by parking that close to each other.

Life was good... and that was weird.