Chapter 27

March 1986

"Attention Hawkins students, the pep rally will begin in ten minutes. Please make your way to the gymnasium." The PA system buzzed out.

With a exhausted sigh, I shut my notebook. I considered skipping the pep rally. I'd assigned myself a workload and a half for senior year. Not only was I keeping my marks on par with scholarship requirements, I was also giving Eddie enough help to graduate. Knowing how disappointed he was with himself the past two years, I was determined on seeing him walk across the stage in that stupid green robe. That damn graduation cap was going to fit over his curls and I was going to laugh when he looked like a poodle.

So, I was making sure he passed every class. I'd done it successfully for the first semester. Now with four more to go, I couldn't fail him now.

Walking towards the gym, I slid my work into the bag over my shoulder. Written along the zipper was an almost illegible 'Hellfire #1 Fan'. Eddie had shown up to class a little more stoned than he intended one day. All of my school supplies got artistic makeovers.

At work last night, Eddie wouldn't stop bothering me for attending the pep rally. I had to remind him that Robin would kill me if I let her face the entire school wearing the band attire. With too much going on, I quit band three months into senior year. Robin responded with dramatic betrayal. Apparently, I owed her.

Entering the gymnasium, I spotted my sister sitting with her new artsy friends. I think one was named Ashley. I didn't really care. I wasn't a fan of these new friends. I was much happier when the lovable brats came over. Hawkins artsy kids were assholes.

I crossed the front of the bleachers, aiming to sit near the band. Shaking my hair out of my face, I spotted a familiar face in the bleachers. It shouldn't surprise me that Steve was here. He drove Robin every morning. He was already watching me, bottom lip half between his teeth. Pulling my hand away from my scalp, I considered waving until a bleach blonde next to him grabbed his bicep. I caught myself, scratching my forehead instead.

"Hey Rob, Vickie," I greeted, stepping up a few rows of the bleachers. The two band members waved at me, one with her usual bubbliness and the other with nerves behind her eyes. I don't know how Vickie was always so stinkin' happy. Robin's eyes flickered behind me (to Steve) then back with a gentle smile before facing the court. I'd hear about it later.

Steve came over once a week since I'd emerged from my depression over Billy's death. It was less visits than I'd grown used to. I didn't know what had changed. He almost behaved like he didn't want to be around me. When he decided to stay the night, we rarely slept in the same bed. He slept in Max's room, or the couch. Every time we spoke, Steve was planning a date with a different girl. If Robin knew what was going on, she wasn't telling me. Only said Steve would talk to me about it. That was two months ago.

I watched the open doors with my chin resting in my hand. Pep rallies were the only time every Hawkins High social group sat in the same room peacefully without conflict. Well, except the oldest members of Hellfire. They'd rather sleep in and prove they gave no second thought to the basketball team. On the other hand, the next people to enter the gym were the Hellfire freshmen. Dustin and Mike walked up the bleachers, heads close together. They looked to be debating a serious topic. Madison turned her head back at the familiar voices. She waved at Dustin and Mike, which they awkwardly returned.

I made eye contact with Mike as he surveyed around the mob of people. A genuine smile broke out across his face. The tall boy waved at me, making me smile too and return the wave. He may have turned into a bratty ninth grader and I may not have agreed with his dwindling friendship towards Will in California, I still saw the adorable little kid I met.