Chapter 36

Max walked nest to me as we roamed the grocery store. Once again, I insisted on buying Eddie healthy food. Steve graciously said he'd get it, but also called halfway across the store that he was instructed to grab beer too.

Steve and Robin argued a few aisles over what fruit to buy. Max and I looked at each other, giggling. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they needed to release their frustration with a round of sex. That wasn't going to happen and I think they'd throw up if I suggested it. Passing the next aisle, Lucas and Dustin were arguing over cereal. Nancy placed a large water bottle into the basket I held. She walked away with a kind smile.

"So, did Steve ask you out last night?"

My eyebrows scrunched, looking down at Max. "No?"

Her jaw dropped. "Seriously? When Lucas and I went inside, we thought he was going to kiss you."

I shrugged. "You were right before. He likes to chase, but never makes moves to solidify a relationship."

"Okay, but now you know how he feels. Why don't you do something about it?"

"Honestly, I can't think about it right now. There's too much happening. I can't be concerned with my relationship status until this thing with Eddie is over." I glanced down at Max as I grabbed a box of granola bars. "I'll just think about it in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and stress myself out then."

Max snorted, turning away and looking for more snacks.

"Jess?"

Looking over my shoulder, I saw a boy in my English class. "Chris, hey. Getting some grocery shopping done?"

Chris glanced behind him before responding. "Yeah grabbing some lunch." He glanced down at Max with a pointed look. "What're you doing here?"

"Some of my friends and I are going to the park, having a picnic," I said, waving the granola bars in the air.

He casually nodded. "Anyone I'd know?"

An alarm began to sound in my head, but I couldn't understand it. "Uh, yeah maybe. Steve Harrington, probably."

He continued to nod, staring down at me. Max shifted, brushing against my arm. His expression changed and a genuine smile appeared on his face. Chris snapped his finger, pointing at me.

"It's funny to see you without that long haired kid. You know, the metalhead? What's his name again?"

My spine tightened and the alarms were screaming. Steve was right. I was a recognizable face, always associated with Eddie. I glanced back at Max and handed her the basket, forcing a smile on my face.

"Can you finish getting stuff? Robin has my wallet."

Max nodded, silently staring at Chris as she walked out of the aisle. I kept my face peaceful. Looking back at the tall boy in front of me, I scratched my forehead. "Um, sorry. What were you saying?"

The smile on Chris's face looked strained. "The metalhead you hang out with. What's his name? Don't give that kid much attention, I always forget."

I slid my hands into my back pockets, shrugging. "Not sure who you're talking about. I don't know any metalheads. Are you sure you're thinking of me?"

"Oh come now, you two are close. He's basically your boyfriend. You know who I'm talking about." His hand reached out and he played with my hair. I stayed still, clenching my jaw. My heart was pounding in my ears. My thoughts were racing, trying to get out of this situation.

"I really don't know who you're talking about, I'm sorry."

Chris's hand moved from my hair to lightly holding my shoulder. He was tall, his hand enveloping my shoulder. Behind him, a member of the basketball team appeared. He glared at me, crossing his arms. I looked back up at Chris.