Chapter 15

I sat on the edge of my bed, staring out the window. It was mid-morning and it looked like it was going to turn out to be a nice day. I glanced at my pillows, a mess from my restless sleep and contemplated going back to sleep. 

The thought of this crap starting again with the Upside Down and now, whatever the Russians were doing in America... I didn't want to be a part of it. It was exhausting to be constantly worried someone I loved was going to die.

I hated wanting to listen to Steve and not show up at Scoops today. I could go into work and pick up an extra shift, not stopping in to the ice cream shop at all. That wasn't who I was though. Somehow, my sister would get roped in and she was my responsibility. The thought of Steve getting hurt came to mind next. He'd throw himself in front of anyone of us to keep them safe. I couldn't let him do that.

My head began numbing from the impending stress. Sliding on jeans and t-shirt, I stared at myself in the mirror. I was going to see this through.

         "No. No, you can't be here. Go home," Steve said upon seeing me, blocking my entrance to the back. Dustin and Robin appeared in the window.

I crossed my arms, "Steve Harrington, are you kidding me? Are you acting like yesterday didn't happen? I know exactly what's going on back there."

"You weren't supposed to know, Jess Connors. Go home. I don't want you involved in this."

"Why not? I was with you last time."

"No, you weren't. You helped knock out Billy. Then we went off and almost died trying to kill demo-dogs. You were safe from that. And you're going to be safe now."

His last sentence cracked with some sort of emotion, making me sigh. I knew this was what it was about the whole time. His protective streak taking over again. I placed my hands on Steve's cheeks. I needed his focus on me.

"Steve, I know you want me to be safe. Thank you, but I need you, Dustin, Robin, Madison, and everyone else to be safe too. I can't make sure that happens if I'm not here."

"Steve, for what it's worth, I think Jess should be a part of this," Robin commented.

Steve's eyes stayed on me, "I don't care, Robin. She's not coming."

I stepped back, crossing my arms with the same attitude Steve had.

"Fine, that's one for me leaving and one for me staying," I turned to Dustin, "tie breaker?"

Steve turned too, and the amusement on Dustin's face dropped. His eyes snapped back and forth to Steve and me. He looked like he was watching his parents fight. Dustin faced Robin, who stepped back with her hands raised. She'd already cast her vote.

"Um, honestly, Steve," and with that weak voice, I knew I had him. A grin broke out on my face, "I think she'd be helpful."

Steve threw his hands up in the air, glaring at me. I did my best to cover my smile, failing severely.

"Wow, Hair Products, you're so dramatic."

Erica Sinclair walked in again. Steve groaned, walking to the stock room without looking at the girl.

"Robin, I'm not doing this."

Robin and I exchanged smiles at the dramatic ex-king. Robin came out to do her job and I followed Steve into the back. He pulled the window shutters closed and turned to me, crossing his arms.

I sighed, "what?"

"I'm not impressed with this," he swirled his finger around the room.

I dramatically rolled my eyes, looking at Dustin. Dustin shrugged, looking down at the papers.