Chapter 10

The Start of Summer 1985

          The school year ended a few days ago, meaning all seven kids will start in high school. Steve and Billy had graduated, no more Hawkins education for them. The rest of us high schoolers were going into senior year. Thinking about it made me feel old.

Tomorrow night, a huge party was being thrown to celebrate the seniors. It seemed none of the parents were arranging anything for the middle school graduates. Meaning it was my job to do so, for my kids at least. For the last week, I'd been planning a party. All of the kids' parents were called and they were ready (and a little excited) to throw their kids out of the house at 11:30 on Saturday morning.

Of course, the party wasn't happening at my house. The kids had proven they could demolish it too easily and I didn't have a pool. Who had a pool and a giant house with a kitchen that seven kids could fit in?

"I can't believe you convinced me to let you do this here," Steve grumbled, lugging in the groceries we'd just bought.

"As if they're not going to be here all summer," I reminded him, putting the three tubs of ice cream into the freezer.

"Ah, but you forget, my dear Jess, Starcourt Mall is just a bus ride away. It's new and shiny with a plethora of greasy food. Little old me only has a pool and a big tv."

I rolled my eyes at him, "yes, but you're Steve Harrington. Those children are absolutely in love with you and they're going to get bored of the same stores over and over again that they can't afford," I placed the pre-cut fruit into the fridge, "well, except for Scoops Ahoy, of course. I plan on bringing Madison there every day."

I began opening the toppings for the ice cream sundaes, when I felt Steve step up beside me. I glanced at him, before pouring chocolate chips into a small container.

"Every day? Really? Wow. Are you going to miss having me so accessible that much, you're going to come visit me every day?"

"I could be visiting Robin. Madison does really love Robin," I pointed out, scrunching my nose.

Steve leaned closer, his breath against my ears, "I'm sure we could find a use for the ice cream if you were coming to visit me instead."

I looked up at him through my eyelashes, ignoring the blush rising to my face, "Steve Harrington, are you hitting on me?"

Steve reached behind me and I felt him tug on the end of my bandana, "Jess Connors -"

Steve was cut off by the sound of a door opening. His eyebrows connected, stepping into the hallway with a straight view to the front door. I glanced over as I put the veggies tray into the fridge to see Steve's shoulders drop and his expression tighten up.

"Mum. Dad. I didn't realize you'd be coming home today."

Steve disappeared down the hallway. I could hear the tenor of his father's voice and a wave of anxiety rolled through me. I'd never met Steve's parents. I don't know how many of Steve's friends had. 

Footsteps thudded down the hall towards me. Anxiety bubbling, I glanced down at my outfit. I was wearing an old pair of denim jeans that I'd hacked the legs off. My shirt was an absolutely huge Iron Maiden shirt I found at a thrift store outside of town. It was originally going to be a gift for Eddie. It never made it to him. It was my style but I had a feeling it wasn't Steve's parents' look. As Steve rounded the corner with an apologetic look on his face, I reached my hand back to adjust the bun I'd created at the base of my skull.

"I'm sorry," Steve mouthed as his parents entered behind him.

"This is Jess Connors," Steve introduced, "Jess, this is my parents."