Chapter 40

I opened my eyes. I was in the Munson trailer. A wave of relief washed over me and I took a deep breath. It was a bad dream. Actually, an entire nightmare. I began to sit up, the blanket on top of me, falling to the side. I froze when I saw Eddie lying on the floor.

Oh. I was wrong. It was all real. A real, living nightmare.

The trailer door opened, and I jumped as Steve stepped through. He saw that I was awake.

"Shit, Jess, I'm sorry. You weren't supposed to see him. We were hoping to get him into the RV before you woke up," he explained. I nodded, unblinking. Steve shoved his hands into his jacket pockets.

"I know you probably want a minute alone with him, but we have to go. Something happened at the Creel house and we can't get ahold of the others. Do you want to come?"

I nodded again. I'd registered the words and internally, I was worried about Max. I just couldn't remember how to properly express it. He stepped around Eddie and bent down to look into my eyes, not obstructing my view.

"Do you want help walking?"

"You can't leave him here," I whispered. "His uncle's going to be home soon and he can't find him like this."

Steve's hand pushed my hair back delicately. "I know, hun. We're going to take him with us and bury him in the morning. Dustin said he has an idea of where, but wants to pick it with you. He said he thinks you'll like his idea."

I nodded, my throat closing and the tears returned. Dustin. Dustin was there. Dustin was there alone and held Eddie as he died. Steve scooped me in his arms, and this time, I forced myself to look away. I tucked my head under Steve's chin and shut my eyes. I couldn't look anymore. When we were in the Upside Down, I was afraid Eddie would disappear. Now, it was too real.

"Is she still asleep?" Nancy.

"No, she woke up before I got in there," Steve answered, his chest rumbling against me. The door to the RV opened but not by Steve.

"Dustin, do you want to sit in here with Jess or help lift him in here?" Steve asked as my body rested against a scratchy foam surface. My arms were removed from Steve's neck and my face was exposed. I kept my eyes closed. There wasn't a verbal answer from Dustin but I heard two sets of footsteps leave the RV.

I couldn't bring myself to open my eyes. The last time I'd been in this RV was with Eddie. With hopes that we'd prove his innocence. With a few spare moments to share our first real kiss. Not drunk, not from a dare. A real kiss where I'd finally declared Eddie Munson was who I wanted to wrap myself around every night and fall asleep with for the rest of my life. But all I got was a few spare moments and a few whispered future plans. A future that wouldn't happen. I felt the single tear slip down my face as more collected against my lashes.

Voices moved along the side of the RV, the steps creaked and I could hear Dustin and Steve talking about how to walk and things to watch out for. I couldn't open my eyes. The couch at the very back of the RV squeaked, some fabric shuffled then the flimsy doors shut. Another, real door shut and more footsteps grew closer. Next to my stomach, the scratchy couch dipped. A soft hand was placed on my hip, gently rubbing.

"Jess?" My eyes finally opened but I didn't wander, putting my gaze right to Nancy. "If I get you a bottle of water, would you drink it for me? I'm concerned you'll get dehydrated."

I nodded. When she stood, my gaze dropped to the ground. Another body sat where Nancy was, but this one with less grace. I looked up at Robin.

"Can I help you sit up? I'll sit behind you, so you can lean back on me and not hurt your head against the cabinet."

I opened my mouth to answer, but my throat and heart squeezed. I knew no words were coming out. With Dustin near, I couldn't bring myself to cry again. I nodded my head instead. Robin stood and we shifted. Robin wrapped her arms around my waist, hugging me close. I smiled gratefully at Nancy as she handed me the bottle. Seeing the water, I realized that I was indeed thirsty. I kept my eyes out the window. Dustin and Steve walked past me and sat in the driver's and passenger's seats. The RV lunged forwards. I shut my eyes.