Chapter 22

We ran up the hill, Weather Top, to the metal contraption Dustin named Cerebro. I thought I'd told these kids to think of more original names? The radio was barely illuminated by the town's lights behind it. If this thing really worked, Dustin was ridiculously smarter than I imagined. I didn't doubt it worked.

Dustin bent down in front of the system. Steve, Robin and I all exchanged looks, impressed even with no idea what was happening. He fiddled with the frequency before lifting the walkie to his mouth. The white noise started a new buzzing headache at the base of my skull. I rolled my neck, trying to get rid of it before it became a problem.

"Bald Eagle, do you copy?" Dustin said, waiting a few seconds, "Bald Eagle, I repeat, this is Scoops Troop, do you copy?"

"Yes, I copy," Murray's voice came through.

"Call sign?"

"Bald Eagle."

"Please repeat," Dustin instructed.

"Bald Eagle! This is Bald Eagle!" Murray snapped. I rested my hand over my mouth, covering a smile. Dustin had a talent about getting on people's nerves, especially adults.

Dustin grinned, oblivious to the impatience from the man, "copy that! Good to hear your voice, Bald Eagle. What's your twenty?"

"We reached the vent. I'll contact you when I need you. Until then, silence!"

Steve's shoulders shook in silent laughter.

"Roger that Bald Eagle, this is Scoops Troop going radio-silent. Ten-ten, over."

I let out a chuckle finally break, Steve and Robin both matched me. Dustin and Erica looked up at us.

"What?"

I tilted my head, smiling at him, "nothing. Just keep being you."

Dustin looked at me like I had three heads, "okay?"

        We sat on the grass, talking aimlessly. There was anxiety in the air. We were sitting in the middle of a field, guarding a radio while our friends and children under our care were at the target of a interdimensional monster. 

Even with this damn headache, I'd rather be at the mall, but a cynical part of me knew these four would be overtaken easily if someone attacked. At least I had a gun.

A hand pushed the loose hairs off my forehead. I tilted my head, weakly smiling at Steve. His face looked better, of course we were illuminated by stars and moonlight. Anything looked good out here.

"Scoops Troop, this is," a pause full of regret, "Bald Eagle. I've reached another junction."

Dustin and Erica huddled together, flashlight over the drawn map.

"This is what?"

"The fourth junction," Erica clarified.

"All right, so if memory serves, this is right after the My Little Pony thesis," Dustin commented.

Steve and I looked at each other confused, before he looked at Robin on his other side.

"We went left, so he has to go right."

"Fly right, Bald Eagle. Fly right," Dustin said into the walkie.

"Roger that. Fly right," Murray repeated back.

There was a beat of silence before, "what's the My Little Pony thesis?"

"Don't get him started," Erica answered, rolling her eyes.