{1}

A quiet beeping filled the white washed room as the world came back into focus for Y/N. The fabric touching them felt starchy as they attempted to stretch. A buzzing pain swirled in their skull as they pulled themself up from the white sheets.
"Huh?..." Y/N muttered to themself as they gazed around the empty hospital room. They brought a hand to their forehead and felt a tight bandage encircling their head, they ran their hand the long way around the side before dropping it back into their lap.

"How do you feel?" A neutral voice came from beside their bed. Y/N whipped around before immediately regreting an action. Pain seared through their body as they whined quietly in pain. "Obviously not." The answer their own question. The person sat down beside the injured student.

As they finally got a good look at the stranger, the first thing Y/N noticed was their eyes. Snow white irises enclosed a pale red pupil, and the light didn't quiet catch their eyes either, making them dull and almost dollike. Decorating the tanned skin around the uncanny eyes was a sort of dark eye makeup that clouded around like smog. It dragged down their cheeks and connected together across the bridge of the nose. Similair darkness spread out from the center of their lips and faded as it reached the end. They wore a black hoodie, which they used to covered the majority of their head, as well as hiding their hands in the large pocket.

"Hey." They simply said.
"Hi." Y/N responded uneasily. He scooted away from the stranger. In turn he sighed, apparently bored from the encounter.
"Okay, I'm going to just do this upfront." He said as he stood, taking a step away from the bed. They glanced towards Y/N, making sure they were watching, before carefully stretching a hand out besides them. As he did this, the shadows of the room seemed to respond. They dragged in unnatural ways toward his own, which snaked up his back and into his palm. The darkness started to whirl into the thin figure of a staff, materializing into his hand. Slowly he brought his other hand to the top of the long staff and delicating touched it, which caused a blade to suddenly appear at the end. It wasn't attached to the handle in any way, but it held firm.

"I, am a grim reaper." They announced, as they brought the sythe to rest on his shoulder. "You, are on your way to death." He continued flatly. His white eyes bore into Y/N's as he waited for a response.
"...On my way?... How? Was it," they placed a hand on their forehead again,"from the fall?" The reaper tilted his head.
"No, though it was a side effect of the real reason." He said decicivly. The room was quiet for a moment before Y/N blurted out,
"Well?... What's the real reason?"

The reaper swallowed as his tanned cheeks became lightly adorned with an embarssed blush. In fact, it was basically the only time they had given Y/N any indication of emotion. He shifted his grip on the sythe.

"Well, last night, on the solstice, I was chasing this spirit. They had found a way to run way from their own world and into yours, and it's important for my reputation this didn't get out. So naturally I was acting a just a little careless and well, as I was running after the freak... You and your friend got a little in the way and while avoiding you I may have... Just mildly slice your soul." He explained, averintg his eyes. A small smile graced Y/N's lips as they stared at the person before them. Their eyes were cold with a mix of anger a disbelief.

"You... What?!"

 What?!"