Chapter 4

Ivan

"This is the woman we're looking for." I pinned a photo of Nyra Carter.

"A woman?" Someone speculated.

"Not just any woman, Frank, the woman that's in Forbes magazine. That's Nyra fucking Carter. Do you have any fucking idea who she is? And why the hell have you pinned her on the wall as if she's some sort of suspect?"

"This woman is a cold-blooded killer." I pointed to her picture, and half of them laughed while the other gave me wide eyes as if I was insane. I wasn't. "I have proof."

"I bet you do. Did Captain Edwards give you leeway to do this?"

"She killed my partner."

"Here we go again. Look, Waters, losing Henry was heartbreaking. We all mourned his loss. He was family, but this was months ago. He died in a drug deal gone wrong. He was caught in the crossfire."

"The drug deal was a set-up!" I argued.

"You're losing your mind."

"Look, just listen." I pulled out all the other photos and pinned them up against the wall. "A man was killed over the weekend. His name is Michael Dupont. Same gun. Same caliber. Is it a coincidence that on the same day he dies, his wife signs a contract with Ms. Carter?"

I pointed my hands over all the other photos of dead men and women combined. She didn't discriminate. "Look, all of them were shot the same way. A bullet between the eyes, and all of their bodies were dragged and dumped somewhere else."

"France? That's not even in our jurisdiction. Victimology isn't the same. A woman doesn't kill with a gun. She's more statically inclined to use something easier and less messy, like poison. That and most women's motives for killing are jealousy, passion, or revenge. What's her motive for killing all these people? That put aside, did you do a geographical profile on the dumped bodies?" Detective Blake countered.

"The geographical profile doesn't apply here. The body dumps all cross state lines. I'm sure she has someone that works with her. Her motive is greed. Just look at her account and the headlines that happen on the same day as the body is found. It's like she controls the media as well. If a story were to capitalize on the murders, all anyone can talk about are some Hollywood scandals." I explained.

I could see everyone looking at me with the same enraged looks, but I didn't care. I wasn't going to drop this. I'd bring her to justice for killing all these men, for killing Henry.

"Greed is a motive if it fits, but it's usually men that kill for money. Women don't kill for a check. It just doesn't fit. Your team theory doesn't make sense either. You're saying the woman is the dominant authority and the man is the submissive in the team. No man takes orders from a murdering woman. Even if she's as hot as Nyra Carter." Some officers snickered.

"Waters, Captain Edwards wants to talk to you in his office." His secretary called out, and I nodded.

I left the photos up and went over to his office. I knocked twice, then walked in.

"Captain."

"Sit down, Waters."

I sat down, and he took off his glasses so he could pinch the bridge of his nose. "You're a good detective. Used to be one of my best. You've been neglecting all your work, and we have open cases piling up. You're young, and obsessing over a case like this can ruin your career and make you lose your mind."

"Captain, I have a gut feeling about this woman. I swear to you she's in some shady business."

He rubbed his face and blew out a harsh breath. "You're not listening."