Chapter 19

Ivan

To say that I was surprised her favorite movie was Despicable Me was an understatement. We sat in the living room, smoking her special joints, which I hadn't done since high school and was evident when I coughed up a storm.

She laughed loudly at me in response which earned her another smack to her ass. She snuggled closer to me, and we shared the bowl of buttery and salty popcorn while we watched the animated movie. The living room smelled like popcorn and weed.

Everyone's seen this movie, but it would never be my favorite movie. I didn't question her or crack a joke; instead, I stayed right at her hip while we watched it together. Nyra was an open book when she was high, and I wonder if she'd remember telling me why she loved this movie so much.

I wonder if she'd remember how she cried toward the end when Margo refused to jump in Gru's arms because he gave them back. She wasn't sobbing loudly, but her tears poured out of her, endlessly staining her cheeks in the process.

Her hand was clutched over her heart as the girl jumped into his arms, and Nyra hiccuped a sob as she covered her face. Fuck. It was evident why she loved this movie, and why that scene affected her so much.

It hurt being close enough to witness her because I knew I would be using this against her in the near future. I set the bowl of popcorn down and scooped her up in my arms. She climbed the rest of the way into my arms and wrapped her arms around my neck firmly.

I rubbed her back and tried my hardest to comfort her, but I wasn't a comforting person. I didn't know how to reassure someone that they were okay.

I didn't know if there was something I had to say or some words that I had to avoid. I don't remember the last time a girl cried in my arms. Swallowing nervously, I opened my mouth to say something but chose to keep my mouth shut.

I stayed rubbing her back and silently comforting her and hoped it was enough.

"I miss my mom and dad." She sniffled. She removed herself from my neck and looked at me. Her chin trembled, and with a shaky hand, I wiped at her tears and caressed her cheeks. "Sometimes, I wish I died with them that night."

Fuck. Goddamn it. My heart cracked at her confession. "Don't say that, baby."

"Are your parents alive?" She whispered.

"Yes."

She cradled my cheek. "Take care of them, Ivan. Cherish them. Tell them you love them every chance you get."

I felt a lump in my throat. "I will." She rested her head on my chest, and I pulled the blanket to cover her body. "Rest, Nyra." She let out a shaky exhale, and I petted the top of her head and kissed the top of her forehead. "Sleep."

Once her soft snores filled the room, I carried her up the stairs. I set her down on her bed and took off her shoes before covering her up. I kissed her forehead and turned off the lights before closing her door.

I walked down the stairs and was greeted by her men and dogs. They growled in animosity, and the men narrowed their eyes at me. Omar approached me and shoved his finger at my chest.

"I don't fucking like you."

"Good. You shouldn't."

The dogs began to bark loudly, and Omar gave them a hard look. They seized their barking but were still watching me with bared teeth. Instead of trying to pick a fight with him and give him another reason to hate me, I asked.

"Can I get a ride back to my car? It's back at the hotel."

He spoke in a different language to one of his men, and the man behind him nodded curtly.