Chapter 16

Nyra

"Boss, Kevin is dealt with. I cleared out his office and house. All of his electronics have been cleaned out of anything that could tie back to you. I found a key that leads to a safety deposit box that contained a USB. Eddie is combing through it as we speak."

"Did you check his safe?"

"Yes. He had some files in there, and whatever could be used against you was burned."

"Good. Let Eddie know to call me when he has its contents."

"Yes, boss." He nodded but didn't make an attempt to leave my office. "Boss, about the incident yesterday, I apologize for how he snuck into your room. I reprimanded my men and doubled security. That put aside. It does beg the question as to how he was able to bypass the men and get inside."

"Yes. How did he manage to bypass your security, Omar? Do we have blind spots that we do not know of? Do we need more cameras?"

"I don't know. It's not possible that this man has had no military training. Maybe he's a former CIA, FBI, or something. His background check was stiff, and it checked off all the right boxes, but he's a fake. I know it in my gut that he's not to be trusted."

I clasped my hands together and leaned forward in my chair. "Who says I trust him?"

"Boss, I didn't mean any disrespect. I'm here solely to protect and guard you. I'd die for you."

"Tonight, he'll be at the club with me. He'll be staying late, even after the dance I give. Go to his apartment and see if you can find something on him. Be discrete. Be cautious. If this man is an agent of any kind, then he's manipulative and knowledgeable about creating some fake persona. Check everything."

"Yes, boss."

He opened the door to leave when Jessie appeared in front of him. He moved out so she could walk in, then left us.

"What can I do for you?" I asked her with a smile.

"I was going to ask you if it's true you're dancing tonight?"

"I am. I'm excited."

She sat down across from me. "Did you miss it?"

"I did. I didn't think I would, but I love dancing."

"I don't. I don't think I ever will."

I got up and went to sit in front of her. I squeezed her hands reassuringly. "And that's okay. It's more than okay. Jessie, you are a free woman. Do as you please and go where you desire."

"That's what I came to talk to you about. I want to go to Switzerland. By myself. I want to see the green lands, hike mountains, and swim in their lakes. I love working here with you and seeing you every day, but this past week I have been feeling very tired. I think I need a break, Nyra. Will you give it to me?"

"Of course, I will. Take as long as you need, but answer me first. Are you okay, health-wise? Is there something I should be worried about?"

She smiled and kissed the hand that was holding hers. "No, I'm healthy and well."

"When do you plan on leaving?"

"As soon as I find you a replacement."

"All right."

A tear fell down her cheek, and I ssshhed her as I wiped it away. "I'll miss you, Nyra."

"You're scaring me, Jessie."

She shook her head and laughed through a cry. "I don't think I've ever done something for myself. This trip, this will be for me."

"Then I wish you nothing but the best, and I'll also miss you very much."