Epilogue

Epilogue

Nyra

Ivan's family were something out of some hallmark movie or something. They were nice, welcoming, and too sweet to me. I wasn't used to it. Even his sister, Penny, was giddy when she saw me.

They were also a very touchy family. I'm sure I got a hundred hugs from the minute they picked us up from the airport. I didn't know how to react, but awkwardly.

Ivan laughed at my face every single time, which earned him a few smacks to the chest. His mother, Wendy, shared the same dirty blonde locks and charming blue eyes.

Her hair was long, maybe until the middle of her back, which she left down naturally. His father, Kenneth, was a tall and very muscular man and dressed like his wife in an itchy Christmas sweater and cargo pants.

He had short dark hair and warm brown eyes. His sister, Penny, was a mixture of both of her parents with brunette locks and hazel eyes.

I'd never been to Oregon, but we came down a day before Christmas Eve, and Ivan was excited and happy to reunite with his family.

It's not like I never knew what a happy family was because my parents were just as close and happy, but it's been years, and I almost forgot the feeling. The feeling of being around good people who cared about you and wanted to see you happy.

They lived in a cozy two-story house and insisted we stay with them and cancel our hotel reservations, and after protesting for two minutes, Ivan gave in and carried our suitcases upstairs to his old room.

I was left in the living room with his sister, the huge Christmas tree that shined brightly and was decorated amicably. The entire house was decorated with Christmas decorations, and it seemed like something off some Pinterest board.

Everything was themed, and I guess you had to admire their effort. The fireplace had stockings with everyone's name, including mine, and I couldn't help but go over and trace my name on the sock.

I never really celebrated holidays. I usually spent Christmas somewhere sunny with a pina colada in my hand while I chilled in some hammock.

This Christmas was obviously different, and I was still trying to sort through the emotions I was feeling by being here with Ivan's family.

"How'd you meet my brother?" Penny asked, and my thoughts were put on pause as I spun around.

"At a bar."

"Love at first sight?" She giggled as she sat down.

"Absolutely not." I laughed. "Definitely hate at first sight."

His mother stepped out with a tray with an assortment of mugs. Penny took one, and then his mother walked over and offered me a mug.

"Hot chocolate." She said, and I thanked her as I grabbed one.

His mother sat down next to Penny and looked over at me with a smile.

"Sit, please." I sat down nervously and held the mug firmly in my hand. "Tell us about yourself."

"I'm a businesswoman." I summarized. "I own my own lingerie line." Among other things.

"I knew you looked familiar," Penny exclaimed and pulled out her phone. "You're in Forbes and Vogue."

She flashed her mother the phone, and I sat there like an idiot as they both scanned through the articles and photos.

"That's amazing. Wow. Successful and beautiful." Wendy said with a smirk. "How'd my idiot son land you?"